The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
What is the difference between a rubber band and a headband? They both have elastic in them. One has cloth the other doesn't. I would imagine that the rubber band had to be pretty big to fit around the head without cutting off some circulation. I think that we are putting too much into it to say that it is going to snap off and pop someone in the head. I have coached a kid that had long hair but didn't want to ware a headband, so he put a large rubberband around his forehead and it seemed to work. My call on the play let it go, unless it comes off.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spaman_29
What is the difference between a rubber band and a headband? They both have elastic in them. One has cloth the other doesn't. I would imagine that the rubber band had to be pretty big to fit around the head without cutting off some circulation. I think that we are putting too much into it to say that it is going to snap off and pop someone in the head. I have coached a kid that had long hair but didn't want to ware a headband, so he put a large rubberband around his forehead and it seemed to work. My call on the play let it go, unless it comes off.
That's the problem - once it comes off, you have a kid who got smacked in the face, and you can't do anything to prevent an injury.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

i had one snap off, it ain't pretty! i don't like headbands either, i usually ask players to remove them also. hopefully someone else has more insight on this topic, i am curious to know what is right.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

3-5-2
EXCEPTION 2: A headband no wider than 2 inches and made of nonabrasive, unadorned, (except for logo/trademark, see 3-6) single-colored cloth, elastic, fiber, soft leather or rubber may be worn. Rubber/cloth (elastic) bands may be used to control hair.

Headbands are legal. The rule says that a rubber headband is allowed. A rubberband around the head is not allowed.

BTW, you can't ask a player to remove anything. You can only remove them from the game until the are properly equipped.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Dec 17th, 2001 at 11:10 AM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Is there any rule stipulating where wristbands may be worn? (Other than the fact that they are designed to be worn on the wrist). For instance, some players like to wear the wristbands on their forearms, near their elbows. Do you insist that they be worn on their wrists? Or do you let it go?
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
3-5-2
EXCEPTION 2: A headband no wider than 2 inches and made of nonabrasive, unadorned, (except for logo/trademark, see 3-6) single-colored cloth, elastic, fiber, soft leather or rubber may be worn. Rubber/cloth (elastic) bands may be used to control hair.

Headbands are legal. The rule says that a rubber headband is allowed. A rubberband around the head is not allowed.

BTW, you can ask a player to remove anything. You can only remove them from the game until the are properly equipped.
1. No wider than 2 inches, made of rubber - seems to describe a large rubber band to me.

2. Rubber bands may be used to control hair - how do you determine that a rubber band is not controlling hair when worn around head - I know people who use them for this purpose and prefer it with certain hairstyles over trying to make a bunch of short pigtails.

3. You can ask a player to remove anything? Under the assumption they must be properly equipped? So you have a player with longish hair, he/she controls this hair with a headband which is legal under the rules definition, and you make an arbitrary decision that you don't like it and they have to remove it. I am not clear where it is your place to insert yourself into the rules here.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
i had one snap off, it ain't pretty! i don't like headbands either, i usually ask players to remove them also. hopefully someone else has more insight on this topic, i am curious to know what is right.
Don't like them and ask them to remove them? Under what rule and WHY?
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
1. No wider than 2 inches, made of rubber - seems to describe a large rubber band to me.
Sorry but I disagree. We all know what head bands are and we all know what rubberbands are. They aren't one and the same. But if that rule doesn't please you, I can always use 3-7.

3-7
The referee shall not permit any team member to participate if in his/her judgment, items such as a player's fingernails or hair style may constitute a safety concern.

Quote:
2. Rubber bands may be used to control hair - how do you determine that a rubber band is not controlling hair when worn around head - I know people who use them for this purpose and prefer it with certain hairstyles over trying to make a bunch of short pigtails.
If the rubberband is wrapped tightly around the hair, so that it can't come off during play, I have no problem with it. But that's not the case of a rubberband being used for a head band.

Quote:
3. You can ask a player to remove anything? Under the assumption they must be properly equipped? So you have a player with longish hair, he/she controls this hair with a headband which is legal under the rules definition, and you make an arbitrary decision that you don't like it and they have to remove it. I am not clear where it is your place to insert yourself into the rules here.
That was a typo that I have now corrected. Thanks for pointing it out. I can't ask a player to remove anything. I can simply tell him/her that she can't play if she wears it.

The bottom line is that I could be held liable if I allow something to be worn and somebody gets hurt because of it. Therefore, I could care less if I piss off the player, the coach, the entire team or the entire gym.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith