The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 13, 2007, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

GS/Utah Question

Is the NBA rule different than NFHS, that you can't catch your own airball? That's what the announcer said just before halftime, and I was just wondering if it was a case of me not knowing the NBA rule, or the announcer not knowing the rule completely.
Old Sun May 13, 2007, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco
Is the NBA rule different than NFHS, that you can't catch your own airball? That's what the announcer said just before halftime, and I was just wondering if it was a case of me not knowing the NBA rule, or the announcer not knowing the rule completely.
Rule 10, Section XIV:
i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.

Unfortunately, many fans and coaches think that this is the rule at the high school level, too, and scream when refs don't call a travel in a 7th grade game.
Old Sun May 13, 2007, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
So your saying you can actually throw a pass to yourself in high school rules?
No.

Read the rule I quoted, the original situation, and a grammar primer.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Yes, the NBA rule is different from BOTH the NFHS and NCAA rules. The NBA has a specific rule (quote above) which states that this play is a traveling violation. Under NFHS and NCAA rules, this play is legal and is NOT traveling. There are case plays/approved play rulings under each system stating such. (The OP seems to already know the legality of this in non-NBA games. )
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

I'm just glad Utah won! Should be a great game on Tuesday and I'm going to be there for it! Bring on the Spurs!
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Rule 10, Section XIV:
i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.

Unfortunately, many fans and coaches think that this is the rule at the high school level, too, and scream when refs don't call a travel in a 7th grade game.

I love it when the defensive team stops playing because they think I'm going to call a travel and the guy ends up putting in his own airball.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 04:54am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial
I'm just glad Utah won! Should be a great game on Tuesday and I'm going to be there for it! Bring on the Spurs!
Bring on the Suns, you mean!
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 12:07pm
Esteemed Participant

Was watching the GS/Utah game last night and saw Richardson get ejected for the flagrant 2 foul on Okur...so does that also carry a suspension? Will he miss the next game? And wasn't he the same on who got called for the flagrant foul after smacking Boozer in the head? Not sure Boozer and Okur are the ones on that team that I would be going after like that!!
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
"I see.", said the blind man. Sarcasm detector is now on. But calling traveling in the NBA, I saw it, and it was "blatant" for once.
I think what you really meant to say here was, "I see," said the blind man, when he picked up his hammer and saw.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Was watching the GS/Utah game last night and saw Richardson get ejected for the flagrant 2 foul on Okur...so does that also carry a suspension? Will he miss the next game? And wasn't he the same on who got called for the flagrant foul after smacking Boozer in the head? Not sure Boozer and Okur are the ones on that team that I would be going after like that!!
The league could suspend Richardson, but a Flagrant 2 does not automatically carry with it, a game suspension
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

We Believe

GO WARRIORS - Nothing against the Jazz/Spurs but a Suns/Warriors series would be much more entertaining.

However, the Jazz have played well and taken advantage of Nellie's small ball lineups. Let's see what the Warriors have left in the tank.

The whole Bay Area is behind the Warriors. If the Warriors could somehow pull off three wins in a row (odd are against them...but you never know), it would make the "We Believe" mantra that much stronger.