The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Number Guidelines

I need some clarification,

The NFHS rulebook on basketball specifies that numbers on the front of jerseys need to be at least 4" tall and 3/4" Wide.

In regards to the 3/4" wide, is that the overall width of the number or the width of the lines used to create the number?

For example:

If the second version is the correct one then there are a lot of illegal numbers on high school basketball jerseys.

I am running into this problem on basketball and volleyball jerseys.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Interesting question.

Except for the number 1, how much sense does it make for a number to be 4" tall and only 3/4" wide? That's an aspect ratio of greater than 5:1
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

At least 3/4 x 4 for the number 1 makes clear sense. Problem with using a number one in the example is that a 3/4" x 4" 1 has both a 3/4 overall width and a 3/4 (for lack of a better word) thickness.

I think the rule was written as "3/4 x 4" because of the number 1 being thin. I am questioning how this rule affects other numbers, namely the wider ones. The number 2 for instance will be around 2.5" wide when 4" tall. This satisfies the rule about being larger than 3/4", but it still may not satisfy the rule if the characters "thickness" is less than 3/4".

Which way is the rule intended to be interpreted?
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanis42
At least 3/4 x 4 for the number 1 makes clear sense. Problem with using a number one in the example is that a 3/4" x 4" 1 has both a 3/4 overall width and a 3/4 (for lack of a better word) thickness.

I think the rule was written as "3/4 x 4" because of the number 1 being thin. I am questioning how this rule affects other numbers, namely the wider ones. The number 2 for instance will be around 2.5" wide when 4" tall. This satisfies the rule about being larger than 3/4", but it still may not satisfy the rule if the characters "thickness" is less than 3/4".

Which way is the rule intended to be interpreted?
I see what you're saying but if we assume the rule is written properly and can only apply to either line thickness or aspect ratio then we must conclude it relates to line thickness. Don't you agree?
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Honestly, this is one of these rules I do my best to know little about. I am not going to measure the length and width of any number. I just want to make sure there are numbers on both sides of a uniform and sometimes that is not important.

Peace
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

If you review Article 4 about borders and shadows, it seems clear they are talking about the line thickness, not the width of the whole number, so I would guess that the other references to width would also be for line width.

BTW, illegal numbers were a big issue in the early NYC PSAL season, as a few teams whose uniforms were supplied by Rucker had numbers on the front of their uniforms that were too small, and subsequently each game began with their opponents shooting techs until the teams were able to get the uniforms altered during term finals break.

Last edited by Jimgolf; Thu May 10, 2007 at 10:50am.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Honestly, this is one of these rules I do my best to know little about. I am not going to measure the length and width of any number. I just want to make sure there are numbers on both sides of a uniform and sometimes that is not important.

Peace
What?!? You don't carry a ruler in your pocket just for things like this, along with an air-pressure guage to make sure the ball has equal pressure from the beginning to the end of the game?!?

Nope, I don't either.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

cough cough gauge cough
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
cough cough gauge cough
The whole game, or just for the pre-game festivities?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
What?!? You don't carry a ruler in your pocket just for things like this, along with an air-pressure guage to make sure the ball has equal pressure from the beginning to the end of the game?!?

Nope, I don't either.
I always carried an air-pressure gauge. Used it too. Got nailed too many times by running teams over-inflating the ball and slow-down teams taking the air out of it. We had coaches that were noted for doing this. Old, old trick.

Note that I know how to spell "gauge" correctly too.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I always carried an air-pressure gauge. Used it too. Got nailed too many times by running teams over-inflating the ball and slow-down teams taking the air out of it. We had coaches that were noted for doing this. Old, old trick.

Hey, gauge this.

I do also have a gauge in my bag, but I usually don't bring it out on the floor with me because I do the "bounce" test. I have replaced balls that were either under- or over-inflated many times. I also have a needle in my jacket pocket in case we need to take some air out, because it seems as though over-inflation is more of an issue than under-inflation.

But I've never had the gauge or needle with me during the game to check for consistancy. That, to me, would fall under the same category as measuring the width of numbers on a jersey.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

As far as the OP, I guess if I noticed the numbers were significantly different than what they usually are, I might mention it, but I've never seen anything remotely close. This sounds like something the school should be taking up with their uniform providers before they order. I know the rules state exact specifications, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem with the size of their numbers in my area.

As far as the sidebar conversation, I never carry a gauge, but do take a needle along. You can almost always take a little air out of the ball.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

Why bother with a gauge? Isn't the real point how high/low it bounces on the playing court?

I'd think the actual pressure, while it may be within the range stamped on the ball, could still be out of the needed range depending on the floor.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Hey, gauge this.
well, I do own a micrometer. However, there ain't nowayinhell a micrometer of mine is ever gonna touch that. Eeeewwwww.

Btw, I kept the gauge and needle in my jacket pocket in a little leather drawstring pouch. Saves running around if the game ball seems funny or someone asks you to check it.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Do you carry an air pump as well in case you need to add more air? Possibly a tape measure to make sure the rims are regulation?