The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   A new one on me... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3436-new-one-me.html)

Indy_Ref Fri Dec 14, 2001 12:31am

Weird situation last night. I was UMP and waiting for partner to return from having his pre-game with the bench. I notice a rubberband AROUND THE HEAD of one of the visiting players. It didn't register at first as I couldn't really believe what I was seeing!

I walked up to the player and asked if it was a rubber band. She said yes...then I notice about 3 or 4 others with the same thing! My first inclination was to say, "Illegal equipment. Take it off." Then, I asked if ANY other official had said anything to the players in past games. They answered NO. I went to partner...then to coach. Partner didn't know what to think, but thought my inclination would be correct. Coach said that NO OTHER official has questioned it this year. I told him that we'd allow it tonight and I'd get a firm answer on what should be done in future games.

I always make players take this type of stuff off...but I've NEVER seen a huge rubberband around a HEAD!! Anyone else have a view?? I know you guys do! Let's hear it!!

Thanks!

BktBallRef Fri Dec 14, 2001 12:56am

I would have the players remove the rubberbands. We've been told that players are only allowed to wear rubber bands to control the hair. We do not allow players to wear rubber bands on their wrists, ankles, or head. A rubber band around the head could pop off the head or snap an injure another player. Others may choose to handle it differently. That's there decision.

I hope this doesn't turn into a 6 page discussion.

rgaudreau Fri Dec 14, 2001 07:44am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
A rubber band around the head could pop off the head
That could be really messy. :) :) :)

Just doing my part to turn this into a 6 page post.

Ren

williebfree Fri Dec 14, 2001 08:48am

Were the Rubberbands teh team color?

I have them remove the rubberbands, Unless they have a state association letter with a determination for the "Head" official (Pun intended :D)that gives them an exception!

Doing my part to add to six pages!

Bart Tyson Fri Dec 14, 2001 09:14am

Sounds like they want to stretch the rules for controlling the hair.

daves Fri Dec 14, 2001 03:08pm

Howdy,

Refer to the casebook 3.5 Situation A.

There are 3 criteria to determine if player equipment is legal.

1. It can not be dangerous to others

2. It can not increase the player's height or reach or give that player an advantage?

3. It has to be appropriate for basketball and not be confusing.

I think a rubber band around the head could be considered dangerous. I doubt that it could increase a player's height or reach. I don't think a rubber band around the head is appropriate for basketball or anything else for that matter.

I would make them take it off.

daves Fri Dec 14, 2001 03:12pm

Maybe this is a stupid technicality but you were the ump in the game. It is the referee's responsibility to make sure the players are properly equipped. Have your partner take care of it. Takes the pressure off you.

Are we to 6 pages yet?

Rev.Ref63 Fri Dec 14, 2001 03:18pm

Was there a manufacturer's logo visible???