The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Microsmesh shirts? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/34122-microsmesh-shirts.html)

Jay R Mon Apr 30, 2007 05:34pm

Microsmesh shirts?

I wanted to ask this question in another thread but it is closed so hopefully this will not degenerate.

I wear both the polyester and micromesh shirts. The polyester is hotter and not as comfortable but seems to look sharper. One fellow official said that wearing a black undershirt with the microsoft makes the white stripes brighter. Another official implied a white undershirt is better. Any comments?

ref18 Mon Apr 30, 2007 05:44pm

black shirt is better for under micromesh.

It makes the black darker and the white sharper.

bob jenkins Tue May 01, 2007 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref18
black shirt is better for under micromesh.

It makes the black darker and the white sharper.

How can that be? It would seem to me that having the black under the white would let some black show through, givign the appearance of "grey" from a distance.

Maybe someone from the Optics and Light Division of our Physics forum needs to weigh in.

Junker Tue May 01, 2007 08:28am

Which micormesh are you wearing? The Cliff Keen's have a pretty solid appearance as well as the Officials Choice. the only one I bought that was kind of see through was a Honig's and that was about 7 years ago so I'm assuming they've improved their material. I always wear black underneath.

SWMOzebra Tue May 01, 2007 09:09am

The local association requires a black undershirt, so no experience with the white...but I think the black under the micromesh looks good.

Texas Aggie Tue May 01, 2007 10:25am

For one thing, all these shirts are polyester. Its just that the lighter versions are not the old doubleknit poly like the traditional shirts.

For another, I wear the OC shirts in both football and basketball. There is no see-through effect for my black undershirts from any distance. I wear the UA shirts that have a black logo, but I think up close one might be able to make out the white logo of the undershirt if he looked real close.

Finally, I don't really consider the OC or CK premium shirts to be mesh. I guess in a technical sense they are, but you can't see through the holes in my shirts. I've got a 2 year old Honigs micro-mesh shirt where the holes are apparant, at least up close. If I'm wearing an OC shirt, from 5 feet, you can't tell one way or the other what shirt I have.

The only recommendation I can make is to junk your old doubleknit shirts, unless, for whatever reason you like them. Get the OC or CK shirts. I'd also like to see everyone go to the side panel shirts. The slightly different, flexible material means the shirt stays tucked in while doing the various arm motions required of working.

Scrapper1 Tue May 01, 2007 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWMOzebra
The local association requires a black undershirt

This seems a little over-officious to me.

SWMOzebra Tue May 01, 2007 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1

No argument here. At local camps and mechanics clinics, I have seen evaluators firmly remind individual officials that white, grey or other colors are not acceptable. It's their party, I'm just along for the ride... :)

JoeTheRef Tue May 01, 2007 01:18pm

Quote:

Do you think the black socks are over-officious as well? There are dress codes and uniform requirements in many aspects of life (military, corporate, school). IMO I think it looks professional and uniform for everyone to have the same dress code (t-shirts, socks, shiny shoes, etc.), it's probably military in me. Me personally, I think the white t-shirt looks tacky against those black collars. If you're wearing a v-neck t-shirt, then it really shouldn't matter.

Jurassic Referee Tue May 01, 2007 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Me personally, I think the white t-shirt looks tacky against those <font color = red>black collars.</font> If you're wearing a v-neck t-shirt, then it really shouldn't matter.

Collars?

Please tell me that you're not wearing a collared-shirt to officiate basketball.:eek:

Or are talking about the black border on the vee?

Adam Tue May 01, 2007 01:25pm

Quote:

Do you think the black socks are over-officious as well? There are dress codes and uniform requirements in many aspects of life (military, corporate, school). IMO I think it looks professional and uniform for everyone to have the same dress code (t-shirts, socks, shiny shoes, etc.), it's probably military in me. Me personally, I think the white t-shirt looks tacky against those black collars. If you're wearing a v-neck t-shirt, then it really shouldn't matter.

You're comparing watermelons and canteloups. I believe the NFHS officials manual says the socks should be black. This is the same as a local association saying belted pants are prohibited. The rules allow some leeway on the t-shirts and the pant style.
Obviously, the associations can do whatever their leadership desires on this, but I agree it's a bit on the OCD side.

Scrapper1 Tue May 01, 2007 02:08pm

Quote:

Do you think the black socks are over-officious as well?

No, because socks are visible. A t-shirt should not be visible in the first place (I always wear a V-neck, as opposed to crew-neck). If it is visible, then I can see why you'd want it to be black. But I think the better option is just don't show off your t-shirt.

SWMOzebra Tue May 01, 2007 03:04pm

Quote:

If it is visible, then I can see why you'd want it to be black.

This is a good point and I should have clarified...IF the t-shirt would show from underneath the stripes, THEN the association requires it to be black.

The v-necks that you like, Scrapper, can be "neutral" in color (ie, white, black or grey). And we think only the "fashions" of the teams get policed....

:rolleyes: