The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to andycks
Question

Hi. I'm new in this forum and I'm a HK referee. Here, I would like to seek for advise on the below matter. Thanks a lot!

If your partner make several wrong judges and the players make the complain to you. How to you response them? Of course, you can support your partner by saying no wrong judge. However, I think this will also affect your image on the players' mind. If you say your partner wrong, the player will complain every judge from my partner. Any advise?

Regards
Andy Cheung
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the board!

What's an HK referee?

You sould support your partner in such situations. Who's to say his judgment is wrong? Perhaps he just had a different angle or saw something you or the player didn't see. Personally, I'm not concerned whether the player's agree with me or not. You shouldn't either. Do your job and professionally ask your partner about the calls later.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

hk=hong kong? maybe
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Andy, this is a tough issue. The main thing to keep in mind is to be a good partner. We all miss calls or have bad games plus as BasketballRef mentioned you might think your partner missed the calls but he was on top of the play and maybe actually got them right. If your not sure what to say say nothing. Something you might say if a player or coach confronts you about a partner's call and you feel your partner missed it is "Coach, I didn't have a great look at the play. Ask my partner when he gets over by you and I am sure he will explain it to you." Whatever you do, don't try to explain your partner's calls as you have no idea what your partner was thinking. I have made this mistake before. A coach got on my partner about a no call on a travel play. The coach questioned me and I told him the ball was tipped by the defense. The coach then asked my partner and he told him the ball was not tipped but the player fumbled the ball and therefore could pick it up.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

ther is also a good discussion on this on hoopsref.com forum
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Andy,

Why do the coaches and players always ask the official that didn't make the call why the other official called it? That's puzzled me for a while now. I had that happen tonight in a game. My partner made a closely guarded call and the coach asked me why it was closely guarded if the player was moving toward the basket. I explained it to him and that was the end of it. In answer to your question, I would support your partner in front of the players. If you have a question about his calls also, then talk to him tactfully at halftime or after the game. The last thing you want is to get into some kind of power struggle with your partner during the game.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

It doesn't hurt in this situation to just not respond about the call(s) but instead just say "let it go", "stay in control", "don't worry about it", or something to let the player know you are there working for both sides, I used this approach last night in a varsity boys game. My partner made a foul call in his area which I saw but it was not a hard foul, good call but I could see why the player was upset. I came down as new lead to get the ball to administer the free throws, I said "ball". He was still looking at my partner at the table and ignored me, bounced the ball hard to the floor once caught it and handed it to me. He happened to be on my side of the lane during a two shot free throw. I said "keep control of your emotions, ok". He said "yea, sorry about that sir". End of story.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 12:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Tell the player, "Aren't you man enough to ask him yourself?"

Of course, this doesn't work in girls games.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to andycks
Thanks all you guys giving me so many great comments. I think I got the feeling and know how to handle it next time. Let see.