The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I can't seem to find the correct administration of a player who has received his 5th foul anywhere in the rule book.
I have always been told you inform the coach of the disqualified player and the coach then has 30 seconds to replace. I have always waited for the coaches replacement before awarding the free throws, but the other night my partner tried to tell me that you shouldn't wait and go ahead and begin the free throws.
Can anyone tell me where this would be addressed in the rule book?

Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 4-14-2 States, "A player is officially disqualified and becomes bench personnel when the coach is notified by an official." 4-14-1 defines a disqualified player.
Rule 10-5-1-d says that the coach has 30 seconds to replace the disqualified player.
When a substitute is available, the free throws should wait for the sub to enter the game. Otherwise, the offending team is at a disadvantage in the event of a missed free throw. I don't think there is a "power play" rule in basketball.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Always wait for the replacement - if you rush into the FT's you run the risk of something going wrong and not being able to fix it.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Neither rule cited by RevRef address the timing. As stated above, I would wait for the sub to enter to avoid a possible problem. However, it does seem odd that the offending team can be "rewarded" by allowing them to "ice" the freethower for 30 seconds.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

2001-2002 Case Book page 81. Rule 10-5-4-b Ruling: (b) "play will resume as soon as A6 has reported to the scorer."
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Like LarryS said it does seem unfair for a team to be able to ice the shooter. I have had a coach deliberately stand there waitng for the 30 seconds to expire in order to put his sub in. It was more of way to show me up than anything else.

Can I force the coach to put someone in immediately if he is just standing there and not doing anything to put someone in.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm interpreting 10.5.4 Situation B correctly from the case book, the coach must get the sub to the scorer's table within his 30 seconds. If he does not, a technical is charged to the coach. If he does, he can use the 30 seconds doing whatever he wants to. I agree, this is an unfair advantage in icing the free throw shooter if it is a shooting foul or bonus situation.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Many coaches (at least those who are thinking) use the 30 second period from the time that they are informed until they have the "replacement" player report to the scorer's table as a free 30-second time out. This is perfectly legal.

The book does not say what the coach has to do during this period of time. Therefore, he is entirely within his rights to talk to his players. However, as soon as the sub reports, it is time to resume the game. So do not let him continue his 30 seconds if the sub does check in quickly.

You need to address this situation with the timer prior to the game. Tell them that, after you tell the coach that he has 30 seconds to replace the disqualified player, you want the timer to begin a 30 second count. At 15 seconds, the timer should sound the horn. At this time you can encourage the coach to get his sub in now. He probably will not realize that he still has time remaining. If he waits until the 2nd horn, which should be sounded at the end of the 30 seconds, then a technical foul for delay of game is appropriate.

Also, when a player commits his/her 5th foul, notify the coach of this before you notify the player. This does two things. First, it starts the 30 second process sooner. Second, and probably more important, it now makes the disqualified player bench personnel, and any unnecessary comments the departing player may decide to make about you or the weather may be punished with an indirect T to the head coach. Make the player the coach's responsibility as soon as you can.

If the player happened to get a T before the coach was notified, it would not count as an indirect toward the head coach.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

This rule has been around as long as I have been coaching. Where is the unfair portion of this rule? You need to give a coach time to get a sub into the game in a situation where the coach is not necessarily ready to substitute. Coaches normally give brief instructions to subs before putting them in, and subs pull off their warm-ups, etc. Somebody somewhere felt that 30 seconds was the appropriate time to allow for all this to occur. You may feel that it is unfair, so be it. But the offending team is losing a player to fouls, and with that many fouls, it's usually someone who gets significant minutes (Read: player is considered valuable enough to spend lots of time on the floor).

So a team gets an unoffical, less-than-30-second timeout every time it loses a valuable component for the rest of the game. The other team gets FTs and the advantage of not playing against whoever they fouled out, but they may have to wait a bit before their FTs. At the end of the day, the team that lost the player is losing more than the team that waits a few seconds for the sub before shooting FTs - I'd much rather be the latter!
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

I understand that the coach needs time to replace the player. What I am talking about is the coach that deliberatley sits there, waiting for his 30 seconds to expire. Not meeting with his kids or giving his player time to take off his sweats, JUST SITTING THERE. To me, I would say if he is not doing something to get his team ready or getting someone on the court, that would be a delay of game. Am I right or wrong?
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Red face It is his time

You are wrong!

The coach can do whatever he desires with his 30 seconds..up to a point....No nudity allowed
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisathames
I understand that the coach needs time to replace the player. What I am talking about is the coach that deliberatley sits there, waiting for his 30 seconds to expire. Not meeting with his kids or giving his player time to take off his sweats, JUST SITTING THERE. To me, I would say if he is not doing something to get his team ready or getting someone on the court, that would be a delay of game. Am I right or wrong?
Absolutely wrong. I get 30 secs by rule - how I use it is up to me. If I don't do or say anything to warrant an unsportsmanship T (and, no, anticipating your next question, doing nothing for 30 seconds is not unsportsmanlike), you got nothing. Maybe I am contemplating the consequences of various substituion patterns for the last 1:28 of the game, or maybe I am just POd. It's not relevant to you. Just let me steam, and T me up if I am late with my sub.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 05:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

In my experience, the coach usually uses his 30 seconds up by standing there staring at the official who made the last foul call that "fouled out his star player."

I usually stare back. Guess what? I always win.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Re: It is his time

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
You are wrong!

The coach can do whatever he desires with his 30 seconds..up to a point....No nudity allowed
Watch the nudity calls - depends on what resort you are at! Oh wait, that's volleyball
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: It is his time

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
You are wrong!

If it's an attractive female (or male for Juulie) coach, I think we can let this slide