The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS Test Score (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33897-nfhs-test-score.html)

DC_Ref12 Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:06am

NFHS Test Score

Is there a standard, NFHS-wide minimum score that must be met in order to be eligilbe for scholastic play?

If not, what are the requirements for your board/association?

Just took a practice test and I'm wondering where I would fall.

rockyroad Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:33am

Our HS association uses a point system for ranking officials...10% of those points are based on test scores...we take the PArt 1 NFHS test and then several others written by board members. All are open book tests.

REFVA Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:41am

Quote:

Is there a standard, NFHS-wide minimum score that must be met in order to be eligilbe for scholastic play?
DC_REF12
In Va you must have a minimum score of 70% to do Varisty level games and a score of 80% to do post season games.

M&M Guy Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:42am

I don't believe there is a nation-wide, NFHS minimum score available, I think it is dependent on your local associations. In IL, for example, there is a state-wide minimum score of 80 on the open book exam to get a license. Then there are other minimums on closed-book exams for promotions to various levels. There might also be local associations that use the exam for promotions and assignments.

So, the very specific answer to your question is: it depends. ;)

Junker Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:45am

I agree with everyone else. Scores are state specific. Here in the corn state (I refuse to call it the Hawkeye state) we have separate scores for the open and closed book. In addition, you can earn a higher certification with the state for higher closed book scores (I believe it is 95% and above). Check with your state to see what's expected of you.

bob jenkins Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC_Ref12

If not, what are the requirements for your board/association?

Just took a practice test and I'm wondering where I would fall.

We expect our officials to give 110% while on the floor. I don't see any reason why we'd expect any less on a test.

Mark Padgett Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
We expect our officials to give 110% while on the floor. I don't see any reason why we'd expect any less on a test.

And you have to get the same score "both ways". :D

DC_Ref12 Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:03am

Thanks all, I thought maybe it differed from state to state. Just took a practice test on my own (closed book) and got a 86%. Guess some of those rules I've been reading have been sinking in.

JRutledge Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:23am

Quote:

Thanks all, I thought maybe it differed from state to state. Just took a practice test on my own (closed book) and got a 86%. Guess some of those rules I've been reading have been sinking in.

It does vary by state drastically when not all states take the same tests for the same purposes. There are some states that do not take any of the NF tests at all.

Also I would not put much stock in a single test score. There are a lot of things the NF does not test as it relates to your real knowledge of the rules. Those tests are created to trick you as to what your word for word knowledge is in the rulebook.

Peace

Vinski Mon Apr 23, 2007 02:34pm

Where does one find these practice tests?

budjones05 Tue Apr 24, 2007 08:57am

In the great state of Missouri, NFHS Part 1 tests, you must score 75% or more. The way you get promoted to do post season games is doing varsity games. You will get rated by the coaches. Based on the rated and the amount of varsity games you do, among with other things like attending rule meetings, will get you to the top. There is no state promotion like, one year you do Jr. High, then you take a test and next year you are doing JV. If you are good, then you are going to get some big games. If you are not so good, then well, better learn next year. I haven't figure out what does our state do with our part 2, but if you do not file it in time, then you will be placed on probation.

BktBallRef Wed Apr 25, 2007 07:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins

How does one give 110%? :confused:

How does one score 110 on a exam that has a highest possible score of 100? :confused: :confused:

M&M Guy Wed Apr 25, 2007 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
How does one give 110%? :confused:

How does one score 110 on a exam that has a highest possible score of 100? :confused: :confused:

I agree 120%.

socalreff Wed Apr 25, 2007 05:21pm

Quote:

Here you must pass, with an 80% score on both, an open book 200 question test and then a 100 question closed book test every single year to become qualified. There is no step system based on the written. However, if one wants to improve their rating, their test scores are considered in the decision. We also must attend 18 hours of instruction every year in a local association to be qualified to work any high school game.

ChrisSportsFan Wed Apr 25, 2007 06:17pm

Half the people you know are below average.