The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I would like to know what is the proper time out mechanic for NF. I was at a provincial tournament and all the experuience officials had different mechanics. I was confused ? In our association the referee that calls the time out 30 or 60 must report the time out to the scorer. Then his/her partner must be at the position for the throw in with the ball. When the first horn goes the referee without the ball indicated with his/her index "First Horn" to the teams so therefore when the final buzzer goes everybody is ready to resume play. Now some referees piggy back the time out, some change positions, some do or don't indicate the first horn and final horn... All I would like to know is the proper mechanic for time outs...thanks
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 03:51pm
Esteemed Participant

Don't have my book in front of me, but here's what I remember...No piggy-back - whoever recognizes the request takes it to the table...one official will be at spot of ball being put in play, the other at half-court circle: near-side on 30, far side on full...first horn, step in and warn both teams...if we had to switch to report time-out, we then switch back...example: I am Lead and blow whistle for time-out, ball will be inbounded on my baseline - I take t.o. to table while partner goes down and holds ball at inbounds spot; after first horn and my warning to both teams, I then go back down to where I will inbound ball and partner resumes his position as Trail...
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

There are no piggybacks or switches on timeouts (unless a foul has also been called).

THe official that recognizes the timeout should always report the timeout. If that official has the ball, he/she should bounce it to their partner. If they don't have the ball, the partner retreives it. After the report, the ball should be in the hand of the official that will administer the throw-in.

There should be plenty of time to get to te right spot after the report.

Regarding positioning...at the time of the timeout, imagine that a defensive violation has just occurred at the location of the ball. Determine the spot of the throw-in and positions as if a violation occured. Go to those spots only deviating to report the timeout or to go the the division line. You never go to your partners spot.

Simply said, if the ball is to be put in play on your line after the timeout, you go immediately to the throwin spot. If the ball is to be put in play on your partner's line, you go directly to the division line. (but only after reporting, if you called the timeout).

[Edited by Camron Rust on Dec 4th, 2001 at 06:57 PM]
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info...
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Camron --

When I read this last night it made perfect sense, but in my game today, I couldn't seem to make it work. Why does it have to be so confusing!?!?!?!?

Okay, so...

Here I am at the endline, kid blocked into the corner by two defenders, my count is at 4.5, kid calls a timeout. Partner is at about the top of the key. I bounce the ball to the partner, jog to reporting area, report, and then what? What does partner do while he holds ball? Who goes to the division line, close to the table for 30, away from table for 60?

Note to NFHS--
Can we keep this the same for a year or two so that we can start to feel like we know what we're doing?!?!
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Camron --

When I read this last night it made perfect sense, but in my game today, I couldn't seem to make it work. Why does it have to be so confusing!?!?!?!?

Okay, so...

Here I am at the endline, kid blocked into the corner by two defenders, my count is at 4.5, kid calls a timeout. Partner is at about the top of the key. I bounce the ball to the partner, jog to reporting area, report, and then what? What does partner do while he holds ball? Who goes to the division line, close to the table for 30, away from table for 60?

Note to NFHS--
Can we keep this the same for a year or two so that we can start to feel like we know what we're doing?!?!
By the official 2-person mechanics:

Officials go back to where the were before the throw. Treat is just as if a violation had been called on the defending team, instead of a TO.

So, whoever grants the TO, reports it. Whoever will handle the throw-in stands at the spot with the ball. Whoever will not handle the throw-in stands at the division line. There is no correlation between reporting the TO and where an official stands.

A better way (IMHO):

Whoever grants the TO reports it and stays at the division line. THe other official gets the ball and stands at the throw-in spot and administers the throw-in.

Answers to Juulie's specific situation:

By the book -- you report the TO, then return to the corner and hold the ball for the throw-in. Your partner goes to the division line.

My way -- you report the TO and stay at the division line. Your partner retrieves the ball ad goes to the corner for the throw-in.

[Edited by bob jenkins on Dec 7th, 2001 at 11:03 AM]
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
By the book -- you report the TO, then return to the corner and hold the ball for the throw-in. Your partner goes to the division line.

My way -- you report the TO and stay at the division line. Your partner retrieves the ball ad goes to the corner for the throw-in.
Imagine that. An official--the person who actually does the job--has a better way of doing things than suggested by the mysterious guys in suits who make the rule.

Some things never cease to amaze me....
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

Imagine that. An official--the person who actually does the job--has a better way of doing things than suggested by the mysterious guys in suits who make the rule.

Some things never cease to amaze me....
Except that those mysterious guys in suits are often officials themselves.