The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NBA/NCAA Officials (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33378-nba-ncaa-officials.html)

JoeTheRef Tue Apr 03, 2007 02:38pm

NBA/NCAA Officials

I know college officials work in several different conferences, does anyone know of any college officials (men or women) who also referee in the NBA or WNBA? Is that even possible or allowed?

JoeTheRef Tue Apr 03, 2007 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
I know college officials work in several different conferences, does anyone know of any college officials (men or women) who also referee in the NBA or WNBA? Is that even possible or allowed?

To clarify.. During the same season.

socalreff Tue Apr 03, 2007 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
To clarify.. During the same season.

Yes. Tons of officials work NCAA Women's and the WNBA.

Indy_Ref Tue Apr 03, 2007 02:46pm

Do not believe it is allowed between NCAA men's & NBA. In theory, maybe...but scheduling simply does not allow it.

Old School Tue Apr 03, 2007 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy_Ref
Do not believe it is allowed between NCAA men's & NBA. In theory, maybe...but scheduling simply does not allow it.

Plus NBA guys make a lot more money and they don't have to work as many games.

Scrapper1 Tue Apr 03, 2007 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalreff
Yes. Tons of officials work NCAA Women's and the WNBA.

Tons? :confused: How many people are on the WNBA staff? I know one official who works the WNBA and NCAAM.

socalreff Tue Apr 03, 2007 05:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Tons? :confused: How many people are on the WNBA staff? I know one official who works the WNBA and NCAAM.

Tom Tedesco, June Corteau, Bob Trammell, Lisa Mattingly, Wade Morehead, Dee Kantner, Melissa Barlow, Cameron Inouye, Shelly Nakasone and more...

Mark Dexter Tue Apr 03, 2007 07:01pm

NBA officials are full-time employees of the NBA. As such, they (generally) don't work other games during the season.

btaylor64 Tue Apr 03, 2007 07:17pm

I think I can help in this department:

No, you can not and may not work anything other than the NBA if you are on staff for the NBA. You are under contract, which doesn't allow you to work anything else. You may, however, work in the NBA's affiliates (NBA D-League or WNBA) and still work college ball.

If you would check, all the officials in the Women's final four up to now are all in the WNBA with the exception of Mary Day. I don't know who is working tonight but I would bet at least 2 of the 3 work in the WNBA.

stripes Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:50pm

I have a friend who works in 5 D1 conferences (men) and in the D-League.

He loves doing the D1 stuff and doesn't care too much for the D-league.

M&M Guy Wed Apr 04, 2007 09:30am

I would think the fact the WNBA season is separate from the NCAA season makes it easier for officials to work both, because there are no scheduling conflicts. In the case of NCAA/NBA, their seasons run concurrently.

JoeTheRef Wed Apr 04, 2007 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I would think the fact the WNBA season is separate from the NCAA season makes it easier for officials to work both, because there are no scheduling conflicts. In the case of NCAA/NBA, their seasons run concurrently.

THat's a pretty decent job there. Refereeing and getting paid well to do it, plus get a couple months off in the year.

IREFU2 Thu Apr 05, 2007 07:33am

NBA Officials can not work anything but NBA. WNBA officials can work college.

Raymond Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalreff
Tom Tedesco, June Corteau, Bob Trammell, Lisa Mattingly, Wade Morehead, Dee Kantner, Melissa Barlow, Cameron Inouye, Shelly Nakasone and more...

Tony Dawkins works NCAA-M and WNBA for sure, and possibly the D-League also.

IREFU2 Sun Apr 08, 2007 07:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Tony Dawkins works NCAA-M and WNBA for sure, and possibly the D-League also.

We was talking NBA & NCAA Men and you cant do both.