The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Time out? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3333-time-out.html)

paulis Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:28pm

Had this play today: Team A with the ball in their frontcourt. Pass goes into A1 on the low post. He passes the ball out to A2 at the top of the key but the ball sails over his head and into the backcourt. As the ball is rolling towards B's basket (no one has touched the ball since A1 passed it)and is in A's backcourt, A3 requests a time out. A still has team control and no violation had occured yet, so we grant A the time out. Of course B coach goes primal and I am sure it looked really bad but I think we had the right call. Comments?

mick Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:35pm

Just apologize.

Quote:

Originally posted by paulis
Had this play today: Team A with the ball in their frontcourt. Pass goes into A1 on the low post. He passes the ball out to A2 at the top of the key but the ball sails over his head and into the backcourt. As the ball is rolling towards B's basket (no one has touched the ball since A1 passed it)and is in A's backcourt, A3 requests a time out. A still has team control and no violation had occured yet, so we grant A the time out. Of course B coach goes primal and I am sure it looked really bad but I think we had the right call. Comments?
We need player control or a dead ball for that deal. ;)
Bet it won't happen again.
Ouch !!!
mick

crew Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:39pm

player control is a must-mick is absolutely correct.

paulis Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:43pm

OK! I blew this one!! Good thing it turned out to be a 2 point game so the call didn't mean anything (gulp)

mick Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:52pm

Just call it an inadvertant whistle.

BktBallRef Wed Dec 05, 2001 12:32am

Quote:

Originally posted by mick

That's just as bad, since it avoids the turnover.

doghead Wed Dec 05, 2001 03:02am

Had something similar happen to me last year in a JV girls game. On my situation, the ball was flying OOB as a result of a bad pass between A1 and A2. A-Team Coach screams for a time out when it is obvious the ball will go OOB. As it's happening, I can remember a sentence from reading the Case Book...something about "a timeout cannot be granted when the ball is loose between players". After the ball became dead OOB, whistle, direction, I granted the timeout. Coach was mad. Said that the wanted it "BEFORE". I told him that one of his players had to be holding or dribbling the ball for his request to be recognized. He stated that he had seen it done in a Varsity game the night before.

I told him that I unfortunately wasn't at that varsity game therefore could not comment on that play.

I think I got it right.

Cheers!
Becky

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 05, 2001 05:01am

Becky,I know you got it right.Good job.One little thing,though.After you've made the OOB call,you can't grant the time-out unless the coach asks for another one You've already turned down his original request.I usually say something like "do you still want a time-out,coach?".

mick Wed Dec 05, 2001 07:48am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Originally posted by mick

That's just as bad, since it avoids the turnover.

But, maybe, it'll be easier to forget.