The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What was Hank Nichols thinking? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33290-what-hank-nichols-thinking.html)

jeffpea Sat Mar 31, 2007 07:36pm

What was Hank Nichols thinking?

Why would he provide an opportunity for anyone to question the officiating by assigning an official to the Ohio St. vs Georgetown game that lives less than 16 miles from Columbus (per mapquest.com)? Unless he has moved recently (in which case I may be wrong), I don't care how great an official he is - you just shouldn't put yourself into that situation by making that assignment.

I don't get it....he deserves to work the Final Four, just have the guy work the UCLA vs Florida game.....

JRutledge Sat Mar 31, 2007 08:16pm

Honestly Jeff, I do not think Nichols cares as much as we might outside of the NCAA. I say this based on comments Nichols made during the Rich Hartzell-Doug Gotlieb (sp?) situation that took place a couple of years ago.

Also earlier in the tournament J.D. Collins worked the Butler-Florida game in the NCAA Tournament and Collins lives very close to Indianapolis where Butler is located. Considering that officials work in multiple conferences, it would be somewhat unfair to only hire people based on only a geographic issue. NCAA Basketball is not like NCAA Football where all season you work in an area and only one conference.

I could be wrong but that is my take.

Peace

TRef21 Sat Mar 31, 2007 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Honestly Jeff, I do not think Nichols cares as much as we might outside of the NCAA. I say this based on comments Nichols made during the Rich Hartzell-Doug Gotlieb (sp?) situation that took place a couple of years ago.

Also earlier in the tournament J.D. Collins worked the Butler-Florida game in the NCAA Tournament and Collins lives very close to Indianapolis where Butler is located. Considering that officials work in multiple conferences, it would be somewhat unfair to only hire people based on only a geographic issue. NCAA Basketball is not like NCAA Football where all season you work in an area and only one conference.

Peace

Verne Harris is working the UCLA game and he works the PAC 10.
It doesnt matter what conference or where you live. If you are good you are working

BktBallRef Sat Mar 31, 2007 09:30pm

WGAF where he lives?

MJT Sat Mar 31, 2007 09:33pm

Quote:

Considering that officials work in multiple conferences, it would be somewhat unfair to only hire people based on only a geographic issue. NCAA Basketball is not like NCAA Football where all season you work in an area and only one conference.

Peace

Rut nailed it right on the head with these two sentences. It is a nonfactor.

hoops77 Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRef21
Verne Harris is working the UCLA game and he works the PAC 10.
It doesnt matter what conference or where you live. If you are good you are working

Why does it matter if Verne is doing the PAC 10 game? It is no different than Mike Kitts who does a lot of Big East games doing the Georgetown game. Ted Valentine did some Big Ten games this year but was still put on Ohio State game. Why did you single out Verne Harris?

JRutledge Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoops77
Why does it matter if Verne is doing the PAC 10 game? It is no different than Mike Kitts who does a lot of Big East games doing the Georgetown game. Ted Valentine did some Big Ten games this year but was still put on Ohio State game. Why did you single out Verne Harris?

Relax, he was likely just giving an example. He might not know the history of each official and the conferences they work.

Peace

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:28pm

Quote:

Peace

Rut:

You have made a very good observation and I agree with you whole hardly. But, do not quote me but I think Dick Cartmell is one of the few mis-guided souls in the Columbus area who are Michigan fans. :D April Fool's!!

MTD, Sr.

TRef21 Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoops77

I was referring to the quote about above mine, how it was saying whoever the official was lived 15 miles away from butler or ohio st. It doesn't matter where you live or what conference you work in. You work the game cause you earned it. So i don't understand how the poster said Mr. Nichols did a bad job on getting officials.

Adam Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:31am

Quote:

Thanks for reminding me where my disdain for Gottlieb came from. Nothing he ever says diminishes it, but I'd forgotten where it started. The whole Hartzell episode was definitely it.
It doesn't help him, either, that me made a comment after agreeing with Jay Bilas on something, "I'm pretty much on the opposite side from Bilas on everything."

Scrapper1 Sun Apr 01, 2007 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
It doesn't help him, either, that me made a comment after agreeing with Jay Bilas on something, "I'm pretty much on the opposite side from Bilas on everything."

I heard that too, and I remember thinking, "Well, then your an idiot." Bilas isn't perfect, but I personally think he's one of the best commentators out there.

Jurassic Referee Sun Apr 01, 2007 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I heard that too, and I remember thinking, "Well, then <font color = red>your</font> an idiot."

:D <i></i>

Dan_ref Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
:D <i></i>

Take it easy on the scrappy one.

I'm sure he meant to say "Well, then your monkey's an idiot."

jimpiano Sun Apr 01, 2007 02:37pm

Valentine

Ted Valentine no longer lives in Westerville, Ohio.

Moved several years ago.

Not that it makes any difference in earning a spot in the final four.

OHBBREF Mon Apr 02, 2007 07:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
WGAF where he lives?

Did someone come out and announce that fact to the general public on National TV so the lemmings could bash Mr. Nichols?

If not why is it any issue amoungst us? We as a group (of all people) know it is a nonissue. You are there because you earned it. We also know that No OFFICAL at that level could show any sort of bias and be working one of these games.

let it die - it was a non issue then and is now.

And who ever said it is right Ted did move a couple of years ago.