The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Workout Plan?? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33231-workout-plan.html)

IHSAref Thu Mar 29, 2007 04:27pm

Workout Plan??

Does anyone have a officials workout plan. I need to get back in shape for the AYBT season. Any help will be used! Thanks!

Dan_ref Thu Mar 29, 2007 04:34pm

Whenever I get the urge to exercise I lie down until it goes away.

But you can try these:

Beat around the bush
Jump to conclusions
Climb the walls
Drag your heels
Push your luck
Make mountains out of mole hills
Pull out all the stops
Open a can of worms

zebraman Thu Mar 29, 2007 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHSAref
Does anyone have a officials workout plan. I need to get back in shape for the AYBT season. Any help will be used! Thanks!

It ain't brain surgery. Just find some time at least 4 days a week to do a half-hour of cardio and a half-hour of weights. Keeping the exercises varied (and the weight lighter than when you were in your 20's) will prevent injuries.

You can find all kinds of workout routines on the internet or in fitness magazines. Or hire a personal trainer for a few sessions to get started. Start slow and build up.

Motivation is the biggest problem for most folks. Fitness Clubs make good money selling yearly memberships to people who only show up for a couple weeks.

NewNCref Thu Mar 29, 2007 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHSAref

Use light weights for longer periods of time to build up muscular endurance. I try to run a mile or two 3-4 times per week and do weights approximately the same number of times per week. To look at me, I don't look to be the most physically fit person, but I can get up and down the court no problem. Then again, I'm significantly younger than most of the people on this forum, so that could help too.

Just remember, you don't have to have muscles like Hochuli, you just need to be able to get up and down the court with ease to make the calls you need to make.

jkjenning Thu Mar 29, 2007 04:51pm

Check out Pete Egoscue - he has cool exercises that require you to lie on your back, etc. quite good, actually!!
Otherwise, walking is way underestimated - preserve your knees for the court.

mick Thu Mar 29, 2007 06:08pm

For me, I buy a new pair of cross trainers and a bag of doughnuts.

Mark Padgett Thu Mar 29, 2007 06:41pm

I used to ride my bicycle two miles every day. The problem was, I would ride it to Baskin-Robbins. :eek:

Jon Diebler Thu Mar 29, 2007 06:47pm

hello? my post was deleted

TRef21 Thu Mar 29, 2007 06:52pm

I'm a Kinesiology Major I can give you some recommendations. Let me know

mick Thu Mar 29, 2007 07:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Diebler
hello? my post was deleted

Please don't start that stuff here.

All_Heart Thu Mar 29, 2007 07:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRef21
I'm a Kinesiology Major I can give you some recommendations. Let me know

His original post was asking for recommendations! ;)

Snake~eyes Thu Mar 29, 2007 07:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewNCref
you just need to be able to get up and down the court with ease to make the calls you need to make.

If only that were true...

M&M Guy Thu Mar 29, 2007 07:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
For me, I buy a new pair of cross trainers and a bag of doughnuts.

Wasn't there a famous Olympian who had those little chocolate donuts on his training table?
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/77/pics/77fdonuts1.jpg

Walking and bike riding work for me - easier on the knees.

26 Year Gap Thu Mar 29, 2007 09:46pm

Reminds me of when I was a collector at the bank.

Boss: So what is the deal with this commerical loan?
Me: It's a workout.

NewNCref Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
If only that were true...

Snake~eyes, I said that wrong. What I was going for was, "you just need to be able to get up and down the court AND make the calls you need to make."

I didn't mean to imply that the only thing necessary for making the right calls was that you get up and down the court.