The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump Stop instruction for refs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33215-jump-stop-instruction-refs.html)

Mendy Trent Thu Mar 29, 2007 09:58am

Jump Stop instruction for refs

Does anyone know where I can get a good ref instruction video that demonstrates the legal jump stop and illegal jump stop moves?

Thanks,

Mendarooni

Junker Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:22am

If memory serves, the NFHS website had a pretty good video on this for sale. I think we were shown some bits and pieces at our state meeting 5 years ago or so. Someone else may be able to give you a definite answers, but I'd go looking on the NFHS website.

Mark Padgett Thu Mar 29, 2007 03:48pm

I think I saw this video in a display at Dieblerbuster Video. :p

26 Year Gap Thu Mar 29, 2007 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mendy Trent
Does anyone know where I can get a good ref instruction video that demonstrates the legal jump stop and illegal jump stop moves?

Thanks,

Mendarooni

I never use this move.

Mark Padgett Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I never use this move.

I used to use this move until the announcers started calling me for traveling when I lifted my pivot foot. :eek:

Johnny Ringo Fri Mar 30, 2007 02:01am

in all seriousness, it would be a good idea to put this into words so it may easily be comprehended - it is one of the most often "wrong" called violations.

MJT Fri Mar 30, 2007 07:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
in all seriousness, it would be a good idea to put this into words so it may easily be comprehended - it is one of the most often "wrong" called violations.

A better idea would be to get a video clip that would have a demonstration of what is and is not legal with voice over to go along with it. One is probably out there, hopefully someone has on to share.

JoeT Fri Mar 30, 2007 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJT
A better idea would be to get a video clip that would have a demonstration of what is and is not legal with voice over to go along with it. One is probably out there, hopefully someone has on to share.

It would be cool to find or post some YouTube videos to illustrate and discuss situations....

26 Year Gap Fri Mar 30, 2007 09:18pm

I think Mark stopped using that move before the advent of YouTube.

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 30, 2007 09:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I think Mark stopped using that move before the advent of YouTube.

HEY!!! Dr. Naismith himself showed me that move!

Adam Sat Mar 31, 2007 01:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
HEY!!! Dr. Naismith himself showed me that move!

Mark, we know you're not being honest here.

Everyone knows the NCAA made this rule change back in the late 90's to accomodate Jon Diebler. He was entering the big-time 10 and under AAU league sponsored by Nike (they needed some way of show-casing this young man's talent beyond the YMCA) that was using NCAA rules, and he had this move that was incredible. It brought tears to your eyes to see an 8 year old doing it, quite frankly.

Anyway, knowing that if they didn't make a rule change to allow this move Mr. Diebler would skip college and go straight for the NBA, where traveling is never called, the NCAA made the change early enough for their officials to get a grasp of this move.

The rest, as they say, is his(her)tory.