The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   last second shot with foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3320-last-second-shot-foul.html)

Docofluv Mon Dec 03, 2001 06:23pm

This is one no one could answer at our meeting last night. Player A is attempting a last second shot that could have a bearing on the outcome of the game. He is fouled but the ball is not out of his hand before the horn goes off. He continues his shooting motion and makes the basket. How many shots does he get? Does the basket count?

JugglingReferee Mon Dec 03, 2001 06:48pm

I wish I was there. ;)

What we know:

i) player A attemps a shot
ii) he is fouled
iii) ball in hands when horn goes

Let's conclude:

a) shooting motion (from (i))

Let's assume:

1) he's fouled before the horn goes

Then:

Cancel the basket because he did not release the ball in time. Award two shots for the shooting foul.

..Mike

Mark Padgett Mon Dec 03, 2001 06:50pm

See NF case 6.7 Situation C ruling on page 49 of the 2001-2002 case book. It states the ball would remain live if the continuous motion started and the shooter was fouled before the release EXCEPT if time expires before the ball is in flight. According to this case, the ball became dead at the expiration of time. If the end of a quarter was not a factor, the ball is still live, the basket would count and the shooter would get one free throw, unless intentional or flagrant, then the shooter would get two.

Mark Dexter Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
See NF case 6.7 Situation C ruling on page 49 of the 2001-2002 case book. It states the ball would remain live if the continuous motion started and the shooter was fouled before the release EXCEPT if time expires before the ball is in flight. According to this case, the ball became dead at the expiration of time. If the end of a quarter was not a factor, the ball is still live, the basket would count and the shooter would get one free throw, unless intentional or flagrant, then the shooter would get two.
Mark, in this case the ball was in the hands at the horn. Wave off the basket, give two free throws with the lane cleared.

crew Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:43pm

mark dexter is correct!

BktBallRef Mon Dec 03, 2001 11:22pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Mark, in this case the ball was in the hands at the horn. Wave off the basket, give two free throws with the lane cleared.

I don't think Padgett was disagreeing. He was just quoting the case book. Nothing he wrote is in conflict with what you wrote.