The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Someone below referred to a bad call he made as a "turkey." Well, here's my turkey call of the month (and I hope, of the season!). Shot goes up, girl goes up, grabs rebound, and then steps backward out-of-bounds. I stare for a moment and then blow the whistle. She stares back. I point to line and say, "stepped out, red ball". She looks aghast. "What?" I explained, "I know you are thinking that the ball went into the basket, but it didn't, so stepping out of bounds is a violation."

Now the shooter from the red team gets into the act: "Yes, it did, didn't it..." and then runs over to the table. "I want my two points!" By now I realize that I've blown it royal. Egg on face, humble apologies and play on as fast as possible.

In my defense, the net was rather stretched out, and it never even moved. And, hey, I was watching off ball!!
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

First of all, I'm assuming that you are the lead official in this situation? If this is correct, then where and what is your partner looking at? My partner and I have always talked in the pre-game about who will have the last second shot and anything that is up around the basket during a shot. Therefore he/she and you should have gotten together to discuss what really happened. The trail is usually responsible for letting you know whether a basket was scored in this type of situation. You could have taken a few seconds to figure out how to handle this. Even if it meant asking the scoring table what they saw (I don't make it a habit of doing this). Better to take a few seconds and get the call right, then to have a "Turkey" call.
PS. I've never heard the expression of a "Turkey" call before today.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

My Turkey call for November!

Boys game Friday night, big margin, home team comes back to tie, but loses eventually.

3rd qtr. & I'm at lead.
A1 goes up.
B1 stuffs the scoop shot.
I blow the whistle.
A1 is still able to release the ball.
A1 returns to the floor.
Jump ball!
****!
"Sorry Coach, I missed it."

Okay, let's hear from the rest of you!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Varsity scrimmage - A1 goes for a layup and is fouled by B1.
I turn to my partner to see if the ball went in. He gives me a little hammer action with his right hand. I go to the table and say "score the basket... B1 push.. one shot".
B coach says why score the basket, It didn't go in. After doing a Tim "the tool man" Taylor 'urgh' I run over to other official and VERBALLY ask him, did it go?? He now says no... I go back over to table and say to the coach, sorry, We got two shots. At the next break, I asked my partner why he gave me the hammer indication. He said, sorry, He has a nervous twich in his right arm and that sometime he does that... So now I learned something new to ask my partner in the pregame. BTW, did I mention this was right after the opening tip. So the B team coach had fun with it for a few minutes. Not the way you really want to start your game....
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Varsity Girls champ. game of local tourney...

A1 dribbling up the sideline in the backcourt. B1 tries to block the sideline and they crash right in front of A's coach. Two bodies fly like mosquitos in a wind storm. Was B1 set, was she moving, did A1 use her arm? Truth is, I still don't know.

For some reason, I froze. Guess it was the "first week of the season" rust falling off as the play happened.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Last week duringa a tournament game. Trail official two man. Ball at midcourt when a player successfully steels the ball but with the hand comming at such an angle I blow the whistle and call the hacking foul. I sell it for all its worth. The coach is screamming. I gentally walk over to the coach and say, "I think I blew that one." He was quiet the rest of the night. My partner later said it was a good call. He did get arm. I was straightlined and couldn't see.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

My bad call

A is up by 20 points with about 10 seconds left in the game. B1 drives into the lane, releases the shot, and A1 fouls him on the arm.

What does Mark do?

That's right, folks, he blows the whistle for the foul with 1.7 left in an intramural game. Both teams just agreed to end the game then and there . (First time I've been bailed out by a captain.)

BTW, I'm now up to 7 T's on the season