The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Men's Rec League Excitement

I gave three Ts last night. I think I only handed out two during the season. The best part of it is that they were for arguing rules not judgement calls.

Let me start by saying that we should have started giving Ts much earlier in the game. The score-keeper warned us before the game started that they were a bunch of whiners. She was right. They were whining about every call. "Are you serious?" "I didn't touch him!"

We had a no-call on a shot-attempt airball that was caught by the shooter. One of the opponents thought for sure that it had to be traveling. His arguing led to a T. He also thought his team should get the ball back, as in POI. He didn't think the other team should get two shots, and the ball.

With just a minute left in the game, a guy jumped from both feet as if to shoot, but while in the air, decided to start his dribble. I called traveling, and his arguing let to a double T. We ended the game with 4 FTs while the clock ran to 00 because the offending team was down by about 30. But of course, that was the officials fault. Oh, what fun.

I know, I know. Most of you will say to stay away from Men's Rec ball, but I have to do some officiating through the off-season.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, yea. Luckily my partner had a rules book with him, so we were able to show them the printed rules after the game. They were actually calmed down, and we had a good discussion. One team down, many more to go.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a fun night.

I rarely do rec ball, but every once in a while I'll do some in the off-season just to get a run in.

It does tend to thicken your skin if nothing else. I'm a firm believer that any game can be used to improve or try a couple new techniques, even men's rec league.

This month's Referee magazine has an article on an NBA ref (was it Bernie Fryer?) and he talks about how he learned a lot from working men's leagues. I seem to recall that Violet Palmer did a lot of men's rec league at one time too.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRef
Oh, yea. Luckily my partner had a rules book with him, so we were able to show them the printed rules after the game. They were actually calmed down, and we had a good discussion. One team down, many more to go.
I think there must have been a full moon or something last night. My first night of rec ball this year and I had.....still counting.... a total of 3 ejections
(2 on their 2nd T) and 2 one game suspensions for actions after the game. Oh, and 1 guy just left on his own. All this at each other, nothing directed at us. Amazing. And 1 of the games involved 2 teams from the same company.

Last edited by socalreff; Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 12:37pm.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Sounds like a fun night.

I rarely do rec ball, but every once in a while I'll do some in the off-season just to get a run in.

It does tend to thicken your skin if nothing else. I'm a firm believer that any game can be used to improve or try a couple new techniques, even men's rec league.

This month's Referee magazine has an article on an NBA ref (was it Bernie Fryer?) and he talks about how he learned a lot from working men's leagues. I seem to recall that Violet Palmer did a lot of men's rec league at one time too.
Yes she did. She said that it definitely helped her to prepare for the nincompoops in the NBA.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
With just a minute left in the game, a guy jumped from both feet as if to shoot, but while in the air, decided to start his dribble. I called traveling, and his arguing let to a double T. We ended the game with 4 FTs while the clock ran to 00 because the offending team was down by about 30. But of course, that was the officials fault. Oh, what fun.
This sounds more like two Ts on the same person than a double T.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

I did a men's comp league 3 wks ago. 4 games, 20min running halves $100 cash so I did it. 10 team of really good athletes. First game went without a hitch. Second game was two of the last undefeated teams. About 10min in fast break I'm lead, player A drives and shoots in a crowd of about 6 players. I'm totally blocked out he loses ball and screams call the f***in foul. Wack! Then he proceeds to approach me with some more expletives. Wack and gone. I also notice my partner never made it down the court. The rest the of game went fairly well. One more tech for a shove after the game, no big deal. After the game the guy I tossed was calmed down. I explained I am always approachable, but when you curse at me in front of 50 plus people I going to take care of business. I'm not going to talk to you that way, so I expect at least the same courtesy. Things ended on a good note and the players remarked that I did a good job under the circumstances. It was obvious to me that the officiating in there league was lacking and they appreciate someone who will at least hustle to make the call. A few days after the assigner called a remarked that players wanted me back. Ironic! It makes the game harder when you feel like your out there by yourself.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Too Much Talkin'
Not Enough Shootin'
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Sounds like a fun night.

Gary Zalinski (sp?) is from here and we had him come speak at one of our meetings a couple of years ago. He made it all the way to the NBA without ever working HS or college ball. It might not be entirely accurate to call everything he did "rec ball." But essentially that's what he did.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:42pm

Working men's league games is a little like hockey. Sometimes if you work a men's league game a Jerry Springer Show will break out.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was nice to see this happen.....better than getting you azz kicked
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
KCRef: I'm glad it worked out for you in this situation, but from my experience working wreck, i mean Rec, league and college intramurals, usually they aren't interested in the actual rules, and often times, it can lead to more trouble than it's worth. Now, maybe you knew this guy and knew you could talk to him, so it could have been okay, but I'd be careful about pulling out the rule book.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes

This sounds more like two Ts on the same person than a double T.
Yes, you got me. Two Ts on the same guy.