The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Spot or run end line?

I don't have my book with me and I am brain dead on this situation. Please help.

Team A makes a basket and Team B grabs the ball to throw it in, but Team A commits a common foul that is a non shooting foul.

Does Team B still get to run the end line? I thought they still do but my partner said very strongly that they do not, that it is now a spot throw in!

Help
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

7.5.7 SITUATION C: Team B has scored a field goal and A1 has the ball along the end line for a throw-in. Team A is not in the bonus. Prior to the ball being thrown inbounds by A1: (a) B1 fouls A2 inbounds near A1; (b) B1 fouls A2 at the division line; (c) B1 fouls A2 beyond the division line; or (d) A2 requests a time-out. RULING: In (a) and (d), Team A may throw-in from anywhere out of bounds along the end line following the foul reporting and the time-out. In (b) and (c), the ball will be given to Team A for a throw-in from the spot out of bounds nearest to where the foul occurred.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

7-5-7 and 7.5.7 (A) are the answer.

If the foul was near the end line, B retains the right to run. If the foul was somewhere else, like near the division line, the throw-in would be a spot near the foul.

Dang! Beat by a minute.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Is it safe to say that the general rule in this situation is, if the throw-in following the foul is still going to be on the endline, then the team throwing in retains the right to run the endline? The wording on the case play says "B1 fouls A2 inbounds near A1." So what if A1 is on the endline near the sideline on the side where the table is, and B1 fouls AD near the endline where it intersects with the other sideline, opposite the table. The calling official says that the ensuing throw in will be on the endline. Do they still get to run?
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Is it safe to say that the general rule in this situation is, if the throw-in following the foul is still going to be on the endline, then the team throwing in retains the right to run the endline? The wording on the case play says "B1 fouls A2 inbounds near A1." So what if A1 is on the endline near the sideline on the side where the table is, and B1 fouls AD near the endline where it intersects with the other sideline, opposite the table. The calling official says that the ensuing throw in will be on the endline. Do they still get to run?
Yes, that is safe to say. The implication is that by being "near" A1, the foul occurred closest to the endline. It's not precisely worded but that is what it means.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Yes, that is safe to say. The implication is that by being "near" A1, the foul occurred closest to the endline. It's not precisely worded but that is what it means.
We don't even have to worry about translating the wording of the case book because it is spelled out precisely in the rules book.

7-5-7 . . . After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundaryline.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
We don't even have to worry about translating the wording of the case book because it is spelled out precisely in the rules book.

7-5-7 . . . After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundaryline.
Thanks. I love you man.