The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   holding vs intentional foul call ? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33167-holding-vs-intentional-foul-call.html)

OHBBREF Tue Mar 27, 2007 03:42pm

holding vs intentional foul call ?

11 and under AAU Super regional Semi-final game
3 minutes left first half team A up 6 playing defense
two man crew lead table side.
A2 makes a cut across the lane from table side at freethrow line and really brushes the defender off the pick. B2 reaches out and grabs a handfull of A2's jersey from behind
I make the intentional call and the coach does his immitation of the mashed potato on the sidelines.
"That is an 11 year old girl and you're going to call that intentional? That is a holding call all this age"

Does anyone have the 11 year olds rule book 'cause I can not find it anywhere?:D

I do not do a lot of this age bracket anymore I do not believe I was wrong ...?

Nevadaref Tue Mar 27, 2007 03:49pm

Grabbing a jersey from behind is ALWAYS an intentional foul for me.

Good call.

PS There are past POEs that directly state that.

Adam Tue Mar 27, 2007 03:51pm

I also think the mash potatoe may very well be a technical foul.

Ch1town Tue Mar 27, 2007 03:57pm

I'm no rules interpretor or anything, but grabbing a jersey (from behind) sounds like an intentional to me. Girls/boys 5yr olds/11yr olds... what's the difference?

IMO I think it's best to teach them "the right way" to do things at a young age, so they don't do it wrong when they get to the next level. ie moving in/out the free throw lane spaces once the shooter has the ball. I had a mom/coach swear that I was unfairly awarding team A an extra free throw for that violation.

tjones1 Tue Mar 27, 2007 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town
I'm no rules interpretor or anything, but grabbing a jersey (from behind) sounds like an intentional to me. Girls/boys 5yr olds/11yr olds... what's the difference?

IMO I think it's best to teach them "the right way" to do things at a young age, so they don't do it wrong when they get to the next level. ie moving in/out the free throw lane spaces once the shooter has the ball. I had a mom/coach swear that I was unfairly awarding team A an extra free throw for that violation.

I had a mother/coach request a timeout and kept requesting a timeout, however, they didn't have the ball. We were at the other end of the court and she kept screaming for a timeout. Finally, one of the people at the scorer's table told her. Priceless.

rainmaker Tue Mar 27, 2007 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF
11 and under AAU Super regional Semi-final game

"That is an 11 year old girl and you're going to call that intentional? That is a holding call all this age"

"I'm sorry coach, I guess no one showed me that rule revision for this tournament. Do you have a copy I can look at? What other changes should I be aware of?"

Adam Tue Mar 27, 2007 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town

Tell her she's unfairly punishing her child by making a public display of her ignorance.