The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Carolina mascot... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33125-carolina-mascot.html)

BktBallRef Mon Mar 26, 2007 01:20pm

Carolina mascot...

...passed away this morning.

M&M Guy Mon Mar 26, 2007 01:28pm

That's sad. And from what I've heard so far, it was just an unfortunate accident.

I saw a part of a story about the kid that mentioned he was, like, 6'5" and 230 lbs., and Roy Williams asked how come he wasn't on the basketball team. He just told the coach he was too slow and couldn't jump, but there had to be some other way he could help the team.

Prayers go out to his family.

JRutledge Mon Mar 26, 2007 02:00pm

Wow.

Sorry to hear that. Clearly a tragedy.

Peace

rockyroad Mon Mar 26, 2007 02:07pm

Was this the kid who got hit by the car? Heard something about that on the news the other night...what exactly happened?

M&M Guy Mon Mar 26, 2007 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad
Was this the kid who got hit by the car? Heard something about that on the news the other night...what exactly happened?

That was him. The story I read was he went out to a convenience store, and was walking back to the hotel when he was struck by an SUV. The driver got out immediately and called 911, and there was no evidence of alcohol or drugs. The story mentioned the driver's son was sleeping in the car at the time of the accident as well. Maybe there's more to the story, but for now it just sounds like a terrible accident.

wizard Mon Mar 26, 2007 02:26pm

Prayers go out to his family and the Carolina community.

tjones1 Mon Mar 26, 2007 04:24pm

Sad story. I was certainly pulling for him after I heard Nance announce it. Unbelieveable, send my prayers out to his family and friends.

26 Year Gap Mon Mar 26, 2007 07:12pm

Concur. Sounds like he was a really well-liked kid, too.

BktBallRef Mon Mar 26, 2007 07:23pm

They had loaded the bus, and were preparing to head to the arena. Ray ran down the road to a C-store. He was walking back to the hotel with his back to traffic when he was hit. A friend of mine's husband flies Coach Williams on recruiting trips, etc. He was in New Jersey and said it was a major highway, several lanes across.

TRef21 Mon Mar 26, 2007 09:45pm

May he rest in peace. Prayers go out to him and his family. It's sad that it had to happen away from home as well as the nations most watched event the NCAA Tournament. It's really sad to see a kid who is as old as me leave the world like that at such a young age with whole future ahead of him. He was supposed to graduate in this spring 07

Mountaineer Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:10pm

OMG - that's just aweful! I guess when I heard Nance talk about it I didn't realize the seriousness of the situation. Will certainly remember his family and the NC family as well.