Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Cool.

Kinda like wearing your cutest pink frilly cocktail dress to deliver that report to your boss 2 weeks late.
What the hell are you talking about?? A pink frickin' dress???

Mine's a black strapless. Pink's not my color.

And to top it off, once I wear it in the office, no one asks me who the Final Four officials will be.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastref
Joe Lindsay seems to have gotten more and more big games over the last couple of years. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in there.
Feb 8, 2007

Purdue 62 MSU 38

Referee goes down
Veteran game official Ed Hightower was helped to the Michigan State bench with a left knee injury with 7:13 remaining in the first half. Hightower left the court and did not return.
Glenn Mayborg and Eric Curry worked as a two-man crew for the rest of the game.

Torn ACL
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
He was the alternate official on one of the games this weekend. I think Ohio State vs. Memphis. That's why I put him as the alternate.
I don't know if that makes him eligible for the alternate slot at the FF or not. Perhaps the entire 10 must have been on the court in a regional semi or final.
AFIAK you have to be one of the 36 officials who worked in the sweet 16 or elite 8 round to be eligible for the FF, alternate or otherwise. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also it was my understanding that the alternate for a regional final was someone who officiated one of the regional semi-finals. Again I could be wrong.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

I'll correct myself since I just looked it up.

There is a standby official assigned to each regional final site. That official is the standby official for all 3 games at the regional site.

I was correct in saying that the standby official is not eligible for a FF assignment.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Here is the Final Four experience of all 36 officials who are eligible to work this weekend.

10 Final Fours

Tim Higgins- 88, 90, 92, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04

7 Final Fours

David Libbey- 92, 94, 96, 97, 99, 01, 03
Ted Valentine- 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 97, 06

5 Final Fours

John Cahill - 95, 99, 00, 05, 06

4 Final Fours

Dick Cartmell- 02, 03, 04, 06
Larry Rose- 93, 98, 99, 03
Donnee Gray- 98, 00, 03, 04
Ed Corbett- 01, 02, 05, 06

3 Final Fours

Tony Greene- 01, 02, 06
Mike Sanzere- 94, 96, 98
Scott Thornley- 96, 99, 01
Mike Kitts- 96, 02, 03

2 Final Fours

Karl Hess- 03, 06
Verne Harris- 04, 05
Curtis Shaw- 99, 06
Randy McCall- 04, 05
Tom Lopes- 95, 03
David Hall- 00, 04
Tom O'Neill- 91, 97

1 Final Four

Doug Shows- 05
Reggie Greenwood- 05
Mark Whitehead- 99

0 Final Four

Ray Perone, Mike Roberts, John Hughes, Tom Eades, Mike Littlewood, Pat Driscoll, JD Collins, Mike Scyphers, Joe Lindsay, Terry Wymer, Jamie Luckie, Mike Stuart, John Higgins, Paul Janssen
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

This is Tommy
Eades year. He is healthy and has had a great year and has called several top games and did a great job. Higgins day has passed and we need some new faces this weekend!
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Tom Eades is an excellent official, no doubt, and he probably will get his shot at a Final Four and it might be this year, but I think you're reaching a bit with your statement that Tim Higgins is all done. You don't work a regional final if "your time has passed."

I think it is important that newer officials are given a shot at progressing in the tournament and I believe Hank Nichols has said the committee agrees. In fact with the exception of last year there have been at least one or two Final Four rookies among the 9 in the last few FF's (eg. Olandis Poole, Doug Shows, Reggie Greenwood, etc.)

You have to remember though that advancment is based on ratings given by assessors in prior rounds of the tournament. We'll have a better idea after tonight's NIT assignments are announced, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Higgins worked this Final Four. I believe this because his games in this tourney have gone smoothly and I have noticed him (as well as others) adhering to the NCAA's POE of cleaning up post play. The guys who call the game the way the NCAA wants it called are going to advance.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

I also happen to believe that Senator Kennedy, er...I mean Tim Higgins, is too old to be out there anymore.

If it were up to me, he wouldn't be working in the tournament at all.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I also happen to believe that Senator Kennedy, er...I mean Tim Higgins, is too old to be out there anymore.

If it were up to me, he wouldn't be working in the tournament at all.
Is he older then Bavetta?
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that Tommy Eades is a great official, and should be considered for this year's Final Four crews. I also think Jamie Luckie is another fine official. The games I have seen him work this year have been great.

That being said, I here are my nine.

Karl Hess
Jamie Luckie
Ted Valentine
Tommy Eades
Tim Higgins
Tom O'Neil
Reggie Greenwood
Verne Harris
John Higgins
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know, but I can tell you that Bavetta is in far better physical shape than the Senator.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Higgins can still call but him and Burr cannot keep up with the fast game, they do not get up and down the floor like the used to. Their time has passed and it is time for some that can get up and cover the floor!
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondregionbug
Higgins can still call but him and Burr cannot keep up with the fast game, they do not get up and down the floor like the used to. Their time has passed and it is time for some that can get up and cover the floor!
Burr and Higgins are the God Fathers of the NCAA. Expect to see them work every year in the tourney until they feel they are ready to leave.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz

0 Final Four

Ray Perone, Mike Roberts, John Hughes, Tom Eades, Mike Littlewood, Pat Driscoll, JD Collins, Mike Scyphers, Joe Lindsay, Terry Wymer, Jamie Luckie, Mike Stuart, John Higgins, Paul Janssen
Paul Janssen does not work as many games as most of these guys, which probably has hurt him some in consideration. His kids attend our HS, and his last is a freshmen this year, and was on the freshmen boys team that I coached. They were/are very active in sports so he trims down his schedule some to see there school activities. I think in 4 years, when his nest is empty, he will take more games and have more opportunities to go deeper in the tournament.