The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What do you call? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3308-what-do-you-call.html)

williebfree Mon Dec 03, 2001 08:55am

Situation:

B1 is at the FT line for the “Bonus”, Team A sends in sub, A6. A1 leaves. As the lead, I administer the ball for the FT. A2 who was already beyond the top of the key moves toward her bench (other side of division line) and sits down next to the coach.

What do you call?

JugglingReferee Mon Dec 03, 2001 09:16am

Toss the ball to your partner, jog over to the coach and say "Coach, we already had a player come off the court for the substitution you wanted. May we have A2 come back onto the court please?" Or, "Coach, we still need 5 players on the court - I think one player was confused about who was being replaced."

Just my thoughts...

williebfree Mon Dec 03, 2001 09:19am

Juggling

The ball is already at the disposal of the shooter.

JugglingReferee Mon Dec 03, 2001 09:24am

Blow your whistle first, ask for the ball back, then give it to your partner.

However, if the ball is already at the shooter's disposal, then I think the T should handle this. (S)he could step up by blowing her/his whistle (the L would (& should) immediately step in and ask for the ball) and jog over to the coach...

Tom Cook Mon Dec 03, 2001 09:32am

I agree with the Juggler. Unless this is a deliberate attempt to "show you up" it's just a kid who's a little confused and needs to be coaxed back onto the court.

BktBallRef Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:40am

That's a good way to handle it.

Had a similiar sitch last week. I called a foul on B22. He slams his hands against the padding on the wall under the basket. I passed on the T. I report and head to trail for the FTs. I hear a TWEET! and look to see my partner whack B22.

Kid was still pissed at me, and the coach I guess, so he sat down on the bench while punching out the Gatorade cooler.In our case, he left the floor before a sub could enter the game, since we were shooting 2.

williebfree Mon Dec 03, 2001 02:27pm

Tom's suggestion was about the way it went. The "wandering" player was confused as to who the sub had replaced. Unfortunately, my partner was a 1st day High School volunteer. So, I allowed the shot and the play to continue until the first dead ball.

The thought did cross my mind to "T" the player for unauthorized "leaving the court", but did not view it as "gaining an advantage." So........

Right or wrong: I "Held the whistle", until I could mentally sort it out.

BktBallRef Mon Dec 03, 2001 02:34pm

That was what my partner called. But in our case, the player was showing what a big time player he was. Whack!

Mark Padgett Mon Dec 03, 2001 03:40pm

There's a "Davism" to cover this. You go over to the coach and say, "Coach, new rule this year. You get 5 players."