The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt Violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3300-backcourt-violation.html)

Mark Dexter Fri Nov 30, 2001 04:26pm

Last night, had this situation:

A1 has control in A's frontcourt. B1 slaps the ball out of A1's hands, the ball bounces to the floor, A1 touches the ball, and the ball goes backcourt. A2 then picks up the ball and brings it frontcourt - partner indicated that there was no violation because it was tipped.

Is this technically a backcourt violation, and, if so, is this how you call it?

Hawks Coach Fri Nov 30, 2001 04:55pm

Definitely a backcourt violation.

Conditions for backcourt:
Team A in control, ball in front court, Team A last to touch prior to going backcourt.

we had this last weekend, official made right call but for wrong reason - he missed the first deflection!

Richard Ogg Fri Nov 30, 2001 04:59pm

Backcourt!

This is a backcourt violation. You have all four criteria for the violation:<ol>
<li>Offensive team possession
<li>Ball has/achieves frontcourt status
<li>Offensive team is last to touch ball <u>before</u> it obtains backcourt status
<li>Offensive team first to touch it <u>after</u> it achieves backcourt status.
</ol>I'm not sure what your asking in "Is this how you call it?"

Hawks Coach Fri Nov 30, 2001 05:05pm

Thanks Richard - I knew there were 4 conditions you always list for a backcourt, even looked at the rules afer I came up with three, and left out the obvious - Team A must touch first in backcourt!

Mark Dexter Fri Nov 30, 2001 05:21pm

Re: Backcourt!

Quote:

Originally posted by Richard Ogg
This is a backcourt violation. You have all four criteria for the violation:<ol>
<li>Offensive team possession
<li>Ball has/achieves frontcourt status
<li>Offensive team is last to touch ball <u>before</u> it obtains backcourt status
<li>Offensive team first to touch it <u>after</u> it achieves backcourt status.
</ol>I'm not sure what your asking in "Is this how you call it?"

Well, my partner passed on it because B1 had tipped the ball. Kinda like the question of if B pushes A, forcing the ball to go OOB, what do you do?

Hawks Coach Fri Nov 30, 2001 05:32pm

Mark, I actually see this backcourt violation as being more like this situation. B tips ball away from A and towards OOB, but A screws up and touches it before it goes OOB - clearly a violation on A which you should not contest. That midcourt stripe is just a boundary with some unique rules. A could have waited until ball went backcourt to touch again or cleanly secured the ball in the front court. But having touched it front court, A had 3/4s of the conditions met for a backcourt and met the fourth when they were first to touch backcourt.

Mark Dexter Fri Nov 30, 2001 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Mark, I actually see this backcourt violation as being more like this situation. B tips ball away from A and towards OOB, but A screws up and touches it before it goes OOB - clearly a violation on A which you should not contest. That midcourt stripe is just a boundary with some unique rules. A could have waited until ball went backcourt to touch again or cleanly secured the ball in the front court. But having touched it front court, A had 3/4s of the conditions met for a backcourt and met the fourth when they were first to touch backcourt.
I never thought I would find myself saying this to a coach, but here goes:

Hawks Coach, your explaination was great and helped me to understand the rule.

(Now get back in the box, before I have to give my 6th "T" of the season!) :)

mick Fri Nov 30, 2001 06:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I never thought I would find myself saying this to a coach, but here goes:

Hawks Coach, your explaination was great and helped me to understand the rule.

(Now get back in the box, before I have to give my 6th "T" of the season!) :)

Mark,
One of the keys to understanding this is that Team control did not change when the defender only batted the ball.
mick

RecRef Fri Nov 30, 2001 08:21pm

Re: Re: Backcourt!

[[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, my partner passed on it because B1 had tipped the ball. Kinda like the question of if B pushes A, forcing the ball to go OOB, what do you do? [/B][/QUOTE]

Except for A1 touching the ball again, before it went into the back court, your partner would havve been correct.