The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Florida State/Mississippi State Tech

Any of you see the NIT game between FSU/MSU Tuesday night? In the second half, Thornton, from FSU, tipped the ball away from an MSU player. The ball was headed out of bounds, and he tipped it again to keep it in bounds. His momentum carried him out of bounds. He came back in bounds, recovered the ball with a dribble, then proceeded upcourt with a lay-up. Of course, all of this happened in front of the MSU bench. MSU's head coach went nuts, earning a technical.

I told my wife the call was correct, and explained the rule. She asked if the rule is different in HS. I'm not a ref, and don't have a high school player anymore, so am not sure what the rules are now. Is this rule the same for NFHS and NCAA?

- Catherine Aird
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 08:04am
Lighten up, Francis.

There are some subtle differences between NFHS and NCAA regarding being out of bounds, but on this type of play, the rules are the same.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

From the NCAA Rulebook

A.R. 143. A1 blocks a pass near the end line. The ball falls to the floor inbounds but A1, who is off balance, falls outside the end line. A1 returns, secures control of the ball, and dribbles.

RULING: Legal. A1 has not left the playing court voluntarily and was not in control of the ball when leaving the playing court. This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and momentum carries A1 off the playing court. The try is unsuccessful, and A1 comes onto the playing court and regains control of the ball.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

This is one of those plays that so many people believe is illegal...even at high levels. I've called T on more than one occassion on a coach/player who went ballistic after I no-called this situation. The number of players, fans, and coaches who believe that a player can't touch the ball, go OOB, and return and be the next to touch the ball is probably a majority (but are all wrong).