The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hmmmmm...video (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32776-hmmmmm-video.html)

RookieDude Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:27am

Hmmmmm...video

Watta ya got?

http://www.sportstricities.com/sport...-8468967c.html

JugglingReferee Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:32am

Shooting foul on B1. No T on A1.

Jurassic Referee Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Common foul on B1.

Say what? How can you have a <b>common</b> foul on a <b>shooter</b>? A1 picked up the ball well before any contact occurred.

Camron Rust Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:56am

From the camera angle provided....No call.

Defender got in the path with 2 feet touching the floor, facing the shooter, just before the shooter jumped and was moving away from the contact (backpeddling). It also didn't appear that the arms were involved in the contact.

Even if you don't agree with that, this contact was so slight that it had no impact on the play...no advantage.

Definitely NOT a charge.

Jurassic Referee Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
From the camera angle provided....No call.

Defender got in the path with 2 feet touching the floor, facing the shooter, just before the shooter jumped and was moving away from the contact (backpeddling)...not possible to have a block. It also didn't appear that the arms were involved in the contact.

Definitely NOT a charge.

Even if you don't agree with that, this contact was so slight that it had no impact on the play...no advantage.

Agree. Looked like minimal contact.....unless there was something else that we couldn't see because of the camera angle.

truerookie Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:21am

Upon further review, I have a play on situation. No Foul!!!!

Ref in PA Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28am

As I looked at the play and slowed it frame by frame, Blue 1 (B1) was in the air at the same time White 30 (A1) was in the air. I agree the contact was minimal from the camera angle. B1 reaches up with the left arm to make a play at the ball prior to the jump, I can't tell if the arm of B1 was hit. From the camera angle, I cannot disagree with the foul call, there seems to be enough going on to justify it, however, I could also agree with a no call.

A1 definitely gets in the face of B1 and says something briefly to him. I could see a T being given to A1, if not, then definitely a verbal warning. A1 turns around specifically to say something to B1 after the basket was made - A1 looking up to see it go through.

Those are my observations.

Camron Rust Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref in PA
As I looked at the play and slowed it frame by frame, Blue 1 (B1) was in the air at the same time White 30 (A1) was in the air.

Just a question....how is that relevant?

zebraman Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:05pm

From my soft cushy stationary office chair, I have a no-call on the shot and then a mental note to have a brief discussion with A1 at the next dead ball.

fullor30 Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude

A layup..................a more patient whistle might apply here.

Raymond Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:24pm

From the angle of the camera I have a no-call on the lay-up.

Depending on what has already transpired in the game I have either a T on A1 or a couple words of wisdom.

Ref in PA Thu Mar 15, 2007 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Just a question....how is that relevant?

B1 has chosen a path that intersects with the path of A1 (back peddling and drifting to his left). I felt that B1 adjusted at the last moment to make the shot more difficult for B1, at the same time giving up ground. At the time of intersection it was my feeling that B1 did not have lgp and certainly was not set by being in the air.

You are correct that being in the air is not relevant to having or not having lgp or being charged into. I was just trying to describe what I saw.

grunewar Thu Mar 15, 2007 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Agree. Looked like minimal contact.....unless there was something else that we couldn't see because of the camera angle.

Concur, I got nuttin. If you call that ticky-tack contact, it's gonna be a long game.

fullor30 Thu Mar 15, 2007 07:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar
Concur, I got nuttin. If you call that ticky-tack contact, it's gonna be a long game.

If I called that with regularity I don't think I'd be working much in my area.

rockyroad Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:17pm

Ahhhh...Richland vs. Pasco. Nothing like a rivalry game to get the heart pumping. Gotta say I had nothing on my first look, and even more nothing on my second, slow-mo look...like someone else already said, I would be having a little chat with the Richland shooter about how close he just came to getting whacked for taunting.