The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Players on floor yelling during foul shot attempt

Are the players on the opposing team allowed to yell at a player shooting a foul shot? Is this a violation, or just bad sportsmanship? I know the crowd will often yell, but have never witnessed players on the floor yelling at the shooter.

Thank you!
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 01:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast
Are the players on the opposing team allowed to yell at a player shooting a foul shot? Is this a violation, or just bad sportsmanship? I know the crowd will often yell, but have never witnessed players on the floor yelling at the shooter.

Thank you!
Players on the floor or on the bench are not allowed to disconcert the free throw shooter. This is a delayed violation penalized by a retry if the shooter misses the attempt.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:

Thank you!
To answer your question, yes!! Give the shooter another shot, and give the offending player the Old School Stare of Disapproval (tm). That will stop them in their tracks.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

I had a team a few years ago that would have one player yell "I GOT SHOOTER!" just as the shooter was going into her motion. After the first time I thought it was just they had forgotten to call out who had the box out on the shooter but after they did it a second time at exactly the same moment in the shooter's motion I told the players and coach that it would be a violation the next time.

The shooter made both attempts with the yell so I didn't call anything at the time.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 02:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef
To answer your question, yes!! Give the shooter another shot, and give the offending player the Old School Stare of Disapproval (tm). That will stop them in their tracks.
Actually, it's the OLD SCHOOL STARE OF PAINFUL AND IMMEDIATE DEATH tm.

That's waaaaaay more scary!
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 03:19pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryrams
I had a team a few years ago that would have one player yell "I GOT SHOOTER!" just as the shooter was going into her motion.
This year I found tactics like "hands up," "box out", and "someone take shooter" spoken loudly or yelled at just that perfect time....more prevalent from the bench and coaches. When I would go say something to them I would get the Me? I had no idea.....oh, I'm sorry. Yeah right.

From players in the lane, easy call.

I had one girl start coughing up a storm! I told her she needed to go to the other end of the gym is she had to cough in the middle of a free throw.....again, I got the who, me?
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:

Thank you!
Disconcertion? If he missed the shot, give him another one.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

I had a team this year that collectively tried to count down the wrong time at the end of the half. I told the coach that I would not allow his players to do that. From my point of view, they are not fans. If fans want to count down the wrong time, that is fine with me. But for a team to do that to try to confuse another team, imo, is unsportsmanlike. Any comments?
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
I had a team this year that collectively tried to count down the wrong time at the end of the half. I told the coach that I would not allow his players to do that. From my point of view, they are not fans. If fans want to count down the wrong time, that is fine with me. But for a team to do that to try to confuse another team, imo, is unsportsmanlike. Any comments?
10-4-1d, imo - bench technical