The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Players on floor yelling during foul shot attempt (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32725-players-floor-yelling-during-foul-shot-attempt.html)

spacecoast Tue Mar 13, 2007 01:34pm

Players on floor yelling during foul shot attempt

Are the players on the opposing team allowed to yell at a player shooting a foul shot? Is this a violation, or just bad sportsmanship? I know the crowd will often yell, but have never witnessed players on the floor yelling at the shooter.

Thank you!

Adam Tue Mar 13, 2007 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecoast
Are the players on the opposing team allowed to yell at a player shooting a foul shot? Is this a violation, or just bad sportsmanship? I know the crowd will often yell, but have never witnessed players on the floor yelling at the shooter.

Thank you!

Players on the floor or on the bench are not allowed to disconcert the free throw shooter. This is a delayed violation penalized by a retry if the shooter misses the attempt.

SeanFitzRef Tue Mar 13, 2007 01:41pm

Quote:

Thank you!

To answer your question, yes!! Give the shooter another shot, and give the offending player the Old School Stare of Disapproval (tm). That will stop them in their tracks.

stmaryrams Tue Mar 13, 2007 01:44pm

I had a team a few years ago that would have one player yell "I GOT SHOOTER!" just as the shooter was going into her motion. After the first time I thought it was just they had forgotten to call out who had the box out on the shooter but after they did it a second time at exactly the same moment in the shooter's motion I told the players and coach that it would be a violation the next time.

The shooter made both attempts with the yell so I didn't call anything at the time.

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 13, 2007 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef
To answer your question, yes!! Give the shooter another shot, and give the offending player the <font color = red>Old School Stare of Disapproval (tm)</font>. That will stop them in their tracks.

Actually, it's the <b>OLD SCHOOL STARE OF PAINFUL AND IMMEDIATE DEATH tm</b>.

That's waaaaaay more scary! :D

grunewar Tue Mar 13, 2007 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stmaryrams
I had a team a few years ago that would have one player yell "I GOT SHOOTER!" just as the shooter was going into her motion.

This year I found tactics like "hands up," "box out", and "someone take shooter" spoken loudly or yelled at just that perfect time....more prevalent from the bench and coaches. When I would go say something to them I would get the :rolleyes: Me? I had no idea.....oh, I'm sorry. Yeah right.

From players in the lane, easy call.

I had one girl start coughing up a storm! I told her she needed to go to the other end of the gym is she had to cough in the middle of a free throw.....again, I got the who, me? ;)

IREFU2 Thu Mar 15, 2007 07:28am

Quote:

Thank you!

Disconcertion? If he missed the shot, give him another one.

Big2Cat Thu Mar 15, 2007 08:33am

I had a team this year that collectively tried to count down the wrong time at the end of the half. I told the coach that I would not allow his players to do that. From my point of view, they are not fans. If fans want to count down the wrong time, that is fine with me. But for a team to do that to try to confuse another team, imo, is unsportsmanlike. Any comments?

jkjenning Thu Mar 15, 2007 08:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big2Cat
I had a team this year that collectively tried to count down the wrong time at the end of the half. I told the coach that I would not allow his players to do that. From my point of view, they are not fans. If fans want to count down the wrong time, that is fine with me. But for a team to do that to try to confuse another team, imo, is unsportsmanlike. Any comments?

10-4-1d, imo - bench technical