The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Official working both the Men and Women's NCAA Tournament in the same Year? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32655-official-working-both-men-womens-ncaa-tournament-same-year.html)

AZ_REF Sun Mar 11, 2007 03:44pm

Official working both the Men and Women's NCAA Tournament in the same Year?

Does anyone know if an official has worked both NCAA tournaments in the same year? It is very possible it will happen this year and I was wondering if it has ever happened before.

JRutledge Sun Mar 11, 2007 05:58pm

Why do you think this is possible? I think it is very unlikely. Considering that both teams are going on at the same time in many cases, not sure they will be able to work both because of schedule.

Peace

w_sohl Sun Mar 11, 2007 06:26pm

Really Surprised

considering most don't work both genders because they are not allowed to.

Nevadaref Sun Mar 11, 2007 06:33pm

Do mean in the distant past or in the recent past?

I don't believe that the NCAA permits what you have inquired about at the present time.

AZ_REF Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Do mean in the distant past or in the recent past?

I don't believe that the NCAA permits what you have inquired about at the present time.

I know it is possible, as an official very close to me has been invited to both this year. But as JR stated there are some fears that due to the schedule it will not work out. The only possibility is only working a first round men's game and it being on hopefully a Thursday. He hasn't gotten the call w/ his site yet, so who knows. I'll update if he does manage to accept both assignments.

AZ_REF Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:39pm

Update

First round game in Chicago, not the best case as Chicago is playing Friday. It means he would have to have a Sunday site in the women's for it to work. Won't find out until tomorrow.

JugglingReferee Mon Mar 12, 2007 03:06am

I think it's great for an official to work both genders; it's about breaking barriers. It's important we all understand that.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 12, 2007 06:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I think it's great for an official to work both genders; it's about breaking barriers. It's important we all understand that.

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...es/roflmao.gif

BktBallRef Mon Mar 12, 2007 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

Jughead, do the letter FO mean anything to you?

IREFU2 Mon Mar 12, 2007 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ_REF
Does anyone know if an official has worked both NCAA tournaments in the same year? It is very possible it will happen this year and I was wondering if it has ever happened before.

If you are on the womens side, you cant work mens and vise versa. Coverages and mechanics are different.

Raymond Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
If you are on the womens side, you cant work mens and vise versa. Coverages and mechanics are different.

Yes you can. But it is frowned upon and not normally an accepted practice.

But we have a local official who works Women's for two D3 conferences and Men's for a D2 conference. He started off an NCAA-W ref but The D2 conference he works for has the same supervisor for Women and Men and the supervisor decided to switch him over one season.

IREFU2 Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Yes you can. But it is frowned upon and not normally an accepted practice.

But we have a local official who works Women's for two D3 conferences and Men's for a D2 conference. He started off an NCAA-W ref but The D2 conference he works for has the same supervisor for Women and Men and the supervisor decided to switch him over one season.

Hmmm, I thought we were talking about D1.

reffish Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:59am

IREFU2, even though the coverages are different, it is possible for one to work both mens and womens sides.

AZ_REF, WOW! What game is he working Friday and let us know what game on the women's side. That is awsome! Do you know if Chris is working a game?

AZ_REF Mon Mar 12, 2007 07:38pm

Update

Well after a few calls with Mary Struckhoff (spelling?) going back and forth this morning it was determined that if he accepted the men's assigment he would be pulled from the women's tournament. So it looks like it may never be possible to work both tourneys in the same year. However last year two Officials worked both the men and women's big sky final so in confrence tournaments it is possible. They also worked other confrence tournaments.

IREFU2 there are very few officials who work both Men and Women's D-I. I can think of 4 at the moment but I'm sure there are more out there. 2 of them excel in both as well. It's not easy but it sure is possible.

reffish, he's also working a first round game in chicago. I doubt they'll work together but that sure would be cool. He'll find out what game he works on Thursday I think, I'll let you know off the board what game it is. Some guys are going to get together and try to watch his and chris' games. I'll keep you posted.