The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Illinois/Wisconsin - Big Ten refs

I don't know what Rich Falk tells his officials, but BT games are the most poorly called games in the country.

Today - all 3 refs missed an OBVIOUS goaltend. An Illinois player shot a jumper that hit off the backboard AND was on the way down and a Wisonsin player swatted it away and none of the refs called anything.

Just absurd. This type of thing isn't an isolated incident either.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Someone has to tell Billy Packer to shut up. He doesn't know squat about officiating. I must say that was a goaltend though.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 05:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbofficial
I don't know what Rich Falk tells his officials, but BT games are the most poorly called games in the country.

And you know all this from your vast amount of officiating knowledge and experience, right? Or maybe you know it from your vast amount of time spent sitting on the couch yelling at the officials instead?

Or am I confusing you with some other first-year ref who has got absolutely no clue what it takes to officiate at that level but that still doesn't stop him from dumping on the complete officiating staff of a major D1 conference?

Yup, it's that time of the year.......freaking fanboys who think they know everything....
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And you know all this from your vast amount of officiating knowledge and experience, right? Or maybe you know it from your vast amount of time spent sitting on the couch yelling at the officials instead?

Or am I confusing you with some other first-year ref who has got absolutely no clue what it takes to officiate at that level but that still doesn't stop him from dumping on the complete officiating staff of a major D1 conference?

Yup, it's that time of the year.......freaking fanboys who think they know everything....
Way to throw out the personal insults...since you know me so well.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 06:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Way to throw out the personal insults...since you know me so well.
Let me see if I got this right. It's OK for you to make personal insults against every single official on the Big Ten staff, but you really don't think it's nice when somebody does the exact same thing to you? Do I also take it that you knew EVERY official on the Big Ten staff much better than I knew you when you insulted them also? Or does "knowing someone well" only come into play when someone is insulting you and not when you are insulting someone else--i.e. a complete officiating staff?

Btw, I did have something right, don't I? You just finished your first year of officiating, right? That certainly gives you the experience and knowledge necessary to judge a complete D1 staff like you did above.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 06:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Today - all 3 refs missed an OBVIOUS goaltend. An Illinois player shot a jumper that hit off the backboard AND was on the way down and a Wisonsin player swatted it away and none of the refs called anything.

Find one play and try to turn it into a complete generalization.

I could do the same thing.

"Just watching the Big 12 game and saw 12 fouls called in the first 6 minutes of the second half. Annoucer-moron is fawning over the refs for "taking control" of a game one could argue didn't need it. Player picks up fourth foul in the first minute of the second half on what could be called a "weak" illegal screen."

What's the point?
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Wow, refs making mistakes!

FYI, refs make mistakes in every game of every league in every country. I would be very cautious before judging officiating quality from a single missed call in a game.

Some years ago, the chief instructor here in Italy said that, when somebody was saying that officiating in a game had been bad, he asked them to mention three big mistakes. Usually they mentioned one or two, adding something like your "not an isolated incident either".

I was in the US two years ago, in full March madness, visiting a colleague and big Iowa fan. I could see five Iowa games with him and some others on TV at night. I couldn't notice poor officiating in Big Ten, compared to that of other conferences. What I saw were good officials, IMO.

When you criticize officiating, be precise and detailed. Or shut up.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 02:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

What is absurd is you actually think all 3 officials watch for this. Secondly I was in the United Center and that was a very tough call. It was hard to tell in real time whether that was actually the right or wrong call. Now maybe you were sitting in the luxury of your living room, but try to get that call when players can jump out of the gym and are some of the best athletes all of college basketball. Not only did they have one tough call, they had about 3 GT calls that were tough.

Also for the record, the officials that worked in the Big Ten are not just Big Ten officials. They work in multiple conferences and many of the officials worked semi-final and championship tournament games in other conferences earlier in the week. Also many have gone deep into the NCAA Tournament in the past. The problem is Big Ten fans are some of the dumbest by the things they complain about. I have been attending the Big Ten tournament for years and the things fans come up with are just hilarious. They want fouls for things that create no advantage or when players are just doing their jobs.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 09:15am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Today - all 3 refs missed an OBVIOUS goaltend.
Why would all 3 refs have their eyes on the ball? cmon!
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Which D-1 conference tournament did you work this week? Where are your first round NCAA games? Do you anticipate getting a Final Four assignment this year?

BTW, you want to take cheap shots at offiicals? You'll soon find out that doesn't fly on this site, fanboy.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith