The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Final score 67-1! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32602-final-score-67-1-a.html)

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:44pm

Final score 67-1!

Worked three boys HS rec games last night (JV level). The first and the third were pretty typical but the second ended 67-1. The single point was scored with about three minutes to go in the game when a player hit one of three free throws.

The most puzzling thing about this was that I've had that same team three or four times before and they were nowhere near this bad. In this game, they constantly threw the ball away, committed obvious violations and missed numerous layups. After a while, my partner and I both thought maybe they were doing all this on purpose just to be "funny", however it became apparent they were really trying and just having one of those nights.

After the game, none of the players said anything and just picked up their stuff and left the gym. It was pretty quiet.

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:49pm

We feel your pain.

I would be curious to know how many FTs they missed in the whole game. And I sure hope you guys have some kind of mercy rule for a running clock at some point there.

mplagrow Fri Mar 09, 2007 03:43pm

The opponent actually fouled a three point shot in that sitch????

grunewar Fri Mar 09, 2007 04:36pm

My first BV game ever- final score was 75-9.

The team that won wasn't trying to run up the score either! 27-0 at end of first quarter. They could have scored 100+ if they really tried - no fast breaks, no man to man D, etc. The losing team was trying hard too.....just really, really overmatched.

26 Year Gap Fri Mar 09, 2007 05:34pm

Who was the wise guy?

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 09, 2007 06:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
We feel your pain.

I would be curious to know how many FTs they missed in the whole game. And I sure hope you guys have some kind of mercy rule for a running clock at some point there.

I don't have the exact count but it was at least 15. And no, there's no running clock rule. This league plays seven minute quarters with no back court guarding allowed by a team that has a 20 or more point lead. The winners were up by 20 about two minutes into the second quarter.

To answer another reply, the defender who fouled the three point shooter tripped over his own feet while running behind the defender and fell into his back when the offensive player pulled up to shoot. Actually, it was an "accident".

Adam Fri Mar 09, 2007 06:46pm

So, did you call an Accidental Foul? Three shots for the fouled player and then the ball to the fouling team out of bounds?

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 09, 2007 06:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
So, did you call an Accidental Foul? Three shots for the fouled player and then the ball to the fouling team out of bounds?

I was going to call an "Unintentional Foul" but forgot whether the fouled player gets twelve or eighteen free throws after the defender is stuffed in a wood chipper and the opposing coach has electrodes attached to .....well, you know - so I let it go. :D

BTW - twice during the game, the losing team had free throws wiped off due to violations - both times by the same shooter. He stepped WAAAAY over the line both times.

26 Year Gap Fri Mar 09, 2007 08:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I was going to call an "Unintentional Foul" but forgot whether the fouled player gets twelve or eighteen free throws after the defender is stuffed in a wood chipper and the opposing coach has electrodes attached to .....well, you know - so I let it go. :D

BTW - twice during the game, the losing team had free throws wiped off due to violations - both times by the same shooter. He stepped WAAAAY over the line both times.

Like some posters do.