The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Jim Burr

What Happened In His Big East Game Today To Cause The Vet To Lose His Super Cool!
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 03:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondregionbug
What Happened In His Big East Game Today To Cause The Vet To Lose His Super Cool!
I'm at work, I didn't see the game. What did you see?
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

I checked the game recap on ESPN.com and didn't see any mention of fireworks with the officials. What happened in the game for those of us that didn't see it?
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

apparently he was supposed to work with Jon Diebler however due to the unforseen circumstances from last November Mr. Diebler could not work the game. Jim still has not gotten over that apparently.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 08:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Are you serious? Burr gave the Nova coach a well-deserved and basically run-of-the-mill "T". The incident was hardly worth mentioning. Saying he lost his "Super Cool " is a super ridiculous statement. He just took care of bidness.

You don't get out much, do you?
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

I guess no one saw him cussing his partners!
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
If Burr gives a T is was earned. He just doesn't throw them out. So what happened last year with Diebler?
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
If Burr gives a T is was earned. He just doesn't throw them out. So what happened last year with Diebler?
JR will have to field this one as I still get choked up over it...
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 12:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I guess no one saw him cussing his partners!
How do you know he was cussing his partners? Please share the details of that conversation with us, if you don't mind.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Are you serious? Burr gave the Nova coach a well-deserved and basically run-of-the-mill "T". The incident was hardly worth mentioning. Saying he lost his "Super Cool " is a super ridiculous statement. He just took care of bidness.

You don't get out much, do you?
AWWWWW It's so good to see the old seasoned vets, who are in 30+ years of experience club, stick together.

By the way, I could care less about Jim Burr as an official who gets plays right, cause I think he gets just a few more right than Steve Welmer (who doesn't get many) but I respect the man for what and how has contributed to the game and for the many yrs. of service he has provided. I believe he is truly a legend in the officiating community and should be in the hall of fame when and if he ever retires.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
AWWWWW It's so good to see the old seasoned vets, who are in 30+ years of experience club, stick together.

By the way, I could care less about Jim Burr as an official who gets plays right, cause I think he gets just a few more right than Steve Welmer (who doesn't get many) but I respect the man for what and how has contributed to the game and for the many yrs. of service he has provided. I believe he is truly a legend in the officiating community and should be in the hall of fame when and if he ever retires.

nice back handed compliment...
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
nice back handed compliment...
I kinda stole the back-handed compliment from Jim Rome. He says to "always have a take" on things and so I do, and that is it. Jim has been an asset to the officiating community for many years, but I feel his, along with quiet a few others time are up, and now he just needs to retire, wait his couple of years to get on the hall of fame ballot and get in.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 05:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Great. A clone.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 05:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
Jim has been an asset to the officiating community for many years, but I feel his, along with quiet a few others time are up, and now he just needs to retire, wait his couple of years to get on the hall of fame ballot and get in.
Yup, gotta make room for the new breed that don't know or understand the rules and also like to make up some of their own rules--like calling automatic blocks on secondary defenders who have LGP, or "T"s for slapping the backboard while trying to block a shot. Jmo, but I don't think that Burr, Welmer or any other D1 official currently breathing is gonna lose any sleep worrying about you replacing them at any time in the forseeable future.

Other than being an official that (supposedly) just finished his very first year of high school ball, do you have any other qualifications that would enable you to so accurately judge the competency or lack thereof of top-level D1 basketball officials?
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 05:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yup, gotta make room for the new breed that don't know or understand the rules and also like to make up some of their own rules--like calling automatic blocks on secondary defenders who have LGP, or "T"s for slapping the backboard while trying to block a shot.
I agree, Jim is an awesome official and he looks like he's in great shape for his age. Far as you talking about officials making up their own rules. I've seen Jim do a few non-standard things too. When you see guys at the top of the profession doing whatever they want to do when it comes to mechanics. The message is not strong that the officials below should follow the rules to the letter either, imho.