The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What does it take to be considered a top notch official (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32528-what-does-take-considered-top-notch-official.html)

mightyvol Tue Mar 06, 2007 03:46pm

What does it take to be considered a top notch official

I have often wondered about this. I have worked numerous High School Playoff games as well as the State Tournament while others that I think deserve to go are continually looked over. The things that I look for in an official must be totally different than what others look for. Would be interested to hear from you on what you would look for.

JRutledge Tue Mar 06, 2007 04:06pm

I think this varies from one place to another so drastically no one can give you a definitive answer. Of course working a state final would be a great help, but I would assume that working in the playoffs multiple times and working big high profile games can help. Even how you deal with coaches and the quality of your calls will also play a factor.

Peace

ref18 Tue Mar 06, 2007 04:29pm

In advancing being good always isn't enough, it could also come down to who plays politics the best.

It's not fair, but that's the way it is.

mightyvol Tue Mar 06, 2007 04:57pm

Ill give a list of some things that I think are most important in being considered a quality official.

1. Appearance----meaning Posture, you can sell alot with a look of confidence.

2. Sharp Mechanics-------- be crisp, but dont over officiate. Dont draw unnecessary attention to yourself.

3. Judgement------ being consistent. See it happen then make the call. One of the greatest philosophies that I have learned over time.

4. Communication-----being aware of whats going on, clock, fouls, relaying messages amongst other officials.

5. Game mangagement------interaction with other officials and score keeper and timer. They are your best friends at the time, be their best friend as well.

Feel free, to add more.

Terrapins Fan Tue Mar 06, 2007 05:51pm

Quote:

mightyvol

Ill give a list of some things that I think are most important in being considered a quality official.

2. Sharp Mechanics-------- be crisp, but dont over officiate. Dont draw unnecessary attention to yourself.

3. Judgement------ being consistent. See it happen then make the call. One of the greatest philosophies that I have learned over time.

4. Communication-----being aware of whats going on, clock, fouls, relaying messages amongst other officials.

5. Game mangagement------interaction with other officials and score keeper and timer. They are your best friends at the time, be their best friend as well.
1 and 2 are at the top of the list for what you can do, but Politics is above them. Period.

Going to camps helps your chances.

#5 as far as the table goes, no way that helps anyone. JMO

JRutledge Tue Mar 06, 2007 05:55pm

What do you mean by politics? If you ask me that claim of politics is just an excuse for not taking responsibility for what you cannot do.

Peace

mcarr Tue Mar 06, 2007 05:57pm

#6. The respect of your peers...

Back In The Saddle Tue Mar 06, 2007 07:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
What do you mean by politics? If you ask me that claim of politics is just an excuse for not taking responsibility for what you cannot do.

Peace

I was just thinking the same thing.

Terrapins Fan Tue Mar 06, 2007 07:28pm

Politics-

Kissing butt. You know it exists. To deny it is a lie.

Adam Tue Mar 06, 2007 08:12pm

So, politics is what? Being nice to the right people? Getting to know people? I'm not saying it's not there; it would have to be defined before I could say that.

Junker Tue Mar 06, 2007 08:20pm

I think the definition of a top notch official depends on what perspective you are looking at it from. If you are talking amongst other officials, mechanics, communication, rules knowledge, personality, etc. are all certainly what I look for in a partner. If you are talking about what it takes to get tournament games, you'd have to ask those that assign them. All of the aforementioned aspects are certainly looked at, but you also have to be seen on the right game on the right night, have good contacts, and there is absolutely a little luck involved. I try not to worry about the stuff I can't control. I try to get better every time out, be a good partner, and hopefully the rest will fall into place through my hard work.

Mwanr1 Tue Mar 06, 2007 08:22pm

Politic plays a part in terms of getting you high profile games... but if you ain't sharp enough, even with top notch games it won't get you anywhere. Stick with the basic and do your best at all time... someone out there will know!!!!

BillyMac Tue Mar 06, 2007 09:45pm

Top Notch Official

REACTION TIME
Reacts quickly enough to make a decision at the moment of its occurrence.
Makes quick and positive decisions, especially with respect to the “close ones”.
Takes the time to prevent an error from being made.

INTESTINAL FORTITUDE
Remains consistent when calling violations or fouls - without regard to the score, whom it may hurt, or how it may effect future relations with the coach.

CONFIDENCE
Exhibits a confident manner i.e. attention to detail, alertness, firmness, and timeliness of his/her reaction to a situation.
Has a resonant, strong voice that is supported by proper mechanics for purpose of clarification.

POISE
Has a quiet influence on the game that relieves tensions and creates a steady effect upon contestants (both players and coaches alike).
Has control of his/her emotions.
Is courteous and polite.

CONSISTENCY
Is consistent in all calls regardless of situation or point of time in the game. For example consistency in the determination of a block vs. a charge.

JUDGMENT
Uses fair and unbiased judgment and common sense in applying the rules of the game.

COOPERATION
Has the ability to work effectively as a “team” with his/her fellow official
Is not overly sensitive to constructive criticism.
Has a sense of loyalty to fellow officials, a willingness to share the responsibility and avoids attempts to shift the blame.

KNOWLEDGE OF THE PROPER APPLICATION OF THE RULES
Presents a thorough knowledge of the rules of basketball
Appears to make his/her decision with consideration to the effect the calling, or equally as important, the not calling of a rule violation will have. (i.e. advantage / disadvantage)

MECHANICS OF OFFICIATING
Utilizes proper mechanics, up-to-date techniques and procedures as detailed in the Officials Manual.

APPEARANCE AND CONDITIONING
Is in excellent physical condition and exhibits hustle and energy
Official’s uniform and overall appearance is neat, clean and well kept

JRutledge Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
Politics-

Could you define that further? I have never seen anyone actually kiss someone's butt. I have seen officials hang around and talk to certain people, but that does not get you hired automatically or even considered seriously in the circles I have run in. As a matter of fact if you try to do this it does not work very well from what I have seen. You are still required to attend camps, attend meetings and do more than just pay some money to an association and all of a sudden games are going to fly in your lap.

I guess it is better to blame someone than look in the mirror and take responsibility for your own short comings. ;)

Peace

MJT Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyvol

Feel free, to add more.

I like your list, but I would like to add communication with and listening to coaches. I think this is one thing that can make a big difference for an official.

boiseball Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:55pm

top notch officials doing top notch high school games have several things in common:
they referee the defense
they have perfected mechanics
they are aware of all pertinent information: players in foul trouble, foul counts, best players, time, score, calls their partner is making and not making
they know every rule that regularly comes up during a year
they are humble, teachable, and driven to excellence-arete (had to pull out the one greek word I know)

In my opinion there are a lot of referees like that; if you have the knack, well then it just takes a lot of ballgames and hard work and you will get there, and you get there within a couple years

then it just depends on someone taking an interest in you; just like I landed the job I have today, not because I am brilliant, because there was a need at just the right moment and only a few people were applying at that moment; now that I am here, I will work hard to keep it; same with refereeing, you get just the right break (and there are only a few of them out there) and you run with it

I would hope (although I know I am wrong) that none of the "top" refs really think that they are "special" in the sense that they are irreplaceable; there are hundreds of great high school officials around the country who could jump into an open college spot and do great; give them a year or two at that level and all of the sudden people would be talking about how great they are and how they must be the best

Look at all the college refs, do you see things that set each one of them apart and make you say, "now that is a great ref." No, they are all pretty much alike, they all have the same philosophy (get the heck out of the way)and the same mechanics; every basketball game involves the same types of contact and floor movement; you ref for a couple years and you get the feel for how to police those movements, no matter what angle they come from; of course there are those who cannot do it; but there are a lot that can; I have refereed in 3 different areas now and there lots of topflight guys everywhere I go; now put them in college with great partners and great training and quickly you would find that they can handle it and excell at it

Just my opinion; this opinion of course is coming from a guy on the bottom end, down in high school and I am sure that once I get to college I will be sure that there are very few guys who can handle it and I am better than pretty much everyone else, just human nature to think that

Old School Wed Mar 07, 2007 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by boiseball
In my opinion there are a lot of referees like that (that are really good)

Hear!!! Hear!!!

Quote:

I would hope (although I know I am wrong) that none of the "top" refs really think that they are "special" in the sense that they are irreplaceable; there are hundreds of great high school officials around the country who could jump into an open college spot and do great; give them a year or two at that level and all of the sudden people would be talking about how great they are and how they must be the best.
My feeling exactly. I know a few that think they're god's gift to officiating. I guess that comes along with the terriority, or at least for those that have always gotten the breaks in life, it goes to their heads and there ain't no unswelling it either.

tomegun Wed Mar 07, 2007 01:34pm

Politics are a way of life and they are in basketball - it is as simple as that.

Having said that, I don't know if those who have excelled because of politics would really be considered top officials. So much can go into being recognized as a top-notch official; it is a hard question to ask. However, for me it has nothing to do with how many games you do on TV or how far you go in the playoffs because top-notch officials are passed over all the time. I know one official who is still working in D1 tournaments now and he is average. I know another guy who is in a couple of D1 conferences and he is not very good - he is a good golfer and talks a good game though.

This is why I don't believe making it to D1 is a true indication of how good someone is. There are guys that get hired at the D1 level and they are basically hid on crews for many years. By the time they are given better games, they can stand on their own two feet. I'm not saying this always happens, but I have seen it many times.

Jimgolf Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:38am

Don't wear fishnets with runs in them.

stripes Thu Mar 08, 2007 01:55pm

Quote:

Politics-

It exists, but to believe that it is the main reason things happen is to kid yourself. People work because they have the ability. Lots of people think they have the ability, but they are kidding themselves. Their opinion of themselves is way too high.

I hear people around here moan and groan about who is working and who isn't and about 99% of the time they are wrong about the people involved. The right people are working the games and the others are sitting in the stands complaining.

Back In The Saddle Thu Mar 08, 2007 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripes
I hear people around here moan and groan about who is working and who isn't and about 99% of the time they are wrong about the people involved. The right people are working the games and the others are sitting in the stands complaining.

How many times do I have to say it? I was not complaining. I was ... uh ... well ... observing. Yeah, observing. :D

Back In The Saddle Thu Mar 08, 2007 03:10pm

Quote:

Politics-

Back in college they made us write a paper about politics in the workplace. I thought it was the stupidest, most worthless waste of time I ever paid for the "privlege" of enduring. Until I wrote it.

Every organization has its politics, defined as the unwritten rules that actually determine how people interact successfully and move up and down within the organization. To sit in the dark and scream about "it's all politics" is just plain stupid. If you want to move up in the organization, learn the rules, then follow the rules.

In my, admittedly limited, experience, the rules of moving up in the refereeing world include the need to work hard, be up-to-date, go to camps, be seen consistently doing a good job, work games without regard to "playing politics", taking the games you're given with gratitude, doing things that make you stand out in a positive way, and impressing the "right" people. Oh, and there's this little thing about being able to do the job. IMHO, this is where you need to expend the majority of your effort.

If you really are serious about moving up, you'll make the changes in yourself required to work within the group's rules. If not, if you think you're somehow "above it all", if you think that changing how you do things is somehow "caving in" or "kissing butt" then you'll stay right where you are. And it will be politics that keeps you down. Or rather, it'll be your own bad attitude about or ignorance of the group dynamic that will keep you down. Or should I simplify that to simply say, it'll be you that keeps you down? The group isn't going to adapt to you.

So do yourself a favor. Stop whining about "politics" and find out what changes you really have to make to move up. Then go to work. Stop worrying about how fast or slow others around you move up. Stop worrying about whether you're getting what you think you deserve. Find out what you need to do in order to move to the next step. Then do it; and damn the torpedos!

stripes Thu Mar 08, 2007 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Back in college they made us write a paper about politics in the workplace. I thought it was the stupidest, most worthless waste of time I ever paid for the "privlege" of enduring. Until I wrote it.

Every organization has its politics, defined as the unwritten rules that actually determine how people interact successfully and move up and down within the organization. To sit in the dark and scream about "it's all politics" is just plain stupid. If you want to move up in the organization, learn the rules, then follow the rules.

In my, admittedly limited, experience, the rules of moving up in the refereeing world include the need to work hard, be up-to-date, go to camps, be seen consistently doing a good job, work games without regard to "playing politics", taking the games you're given with gratitude, doing things that make you stand out in a positive way, and impressing the "right" people. Oh, and there's this little thing about being able to do the job. IMHO, this is where you need to expend the majority of your effort.

If you really are serious about moving up, you'll make the changes in yourself required to work within the group's rules. If not, if you think you're somehow "above it all", if you think that changing how you do things is somehow "caving in" or "kissing butt" then you'll stay right where you are. And it will be politics that keeps you down. Or rather, it'll be your own bad attitude about or ignorance of the group dynamic that will keep you down. Or should I simplify that to simply say, it'll be you that keeps you down? The group isn't going to adapt to you.

So do yourself a favor. Stop whining about "politics" and find out what changes you really have to make to move up. Then go to work. Stop worrying about how fast or slow others around you move up. Stop worrying about whether you're getting what you think you deserve. Find out what you need to do in order to move to the next step. Then do it; and damn the torpedos!

Well said. I could not agree more.

Junker Thu Mar 08, 2007 06:51pm

I agree. BITS' post was about the best on the subject of politics I've ever read. Well done!

JRutledge Thu Mar 08, 2007 09:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle

AMEN!!!!

Peace

M&M Guy Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:07pm

BITS - good paper. I give it at least a B+. ;)

Scrapper1 Fri Mar 09, 2007 08:27am

I don't think anyone has mentioned this. Maybe it's what somebody means by "politics", but I think a big asset as a referee (and in life, in general) is the ability to get along with people. Just being a person that other people like being around. If you're just a miserable person that nobody likes working with, it's a lot harder to excel even if you can call plays. That's certainly not all it takes, but it helps.