The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Technical for fan behavior (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32450-technical-fan-behavior.html)

Coach Bill Sun Mar 04, 2007 02:08pm

Technical for fan behavior

Can a ref issue a technical foul to a team for misbehavior by their fans?

Thanks,

Coach Bill

deecee Sun Mar 04, 2007 02:12pm

only if the opposing coach requests one --

technically yes but thats the last resort after the previous 5 last resorts had been attempted. this comes right before sending Vinny into the stands to regulate.

Old School Sun Mar 04, 2007 02:17pm

In NCAA yes, in NFHS, yes but not advised.

Coach Bill Sun Mar 04, 2007 02:18pm

Thanks. I asked the coach to control his fans and he said, "What are you going to do, give a technical to a fan?". I said, "No, I'm gonna give it to you,
if you don't ask them to calm down.". Just wanted to make sure, I was within my rights to do this. Is there a NFHS rule reference?

Thanks,

Coach Bill (wearing his ref hat on this day)

Coach Bill Sun Mar 04, 2007 02:22pm

Also - this was a house league game that plays by NFHS rules. I can see the ramifications of calling this in a HS Varsity game. I am not at that level.

Old School Sun Mar 04, 2007 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill
Thanks. I asked the coach to control his fans and he said, "What are you going to do, give a technical to a fan?". I said, "No, I'm gonna give it to you,
if you don't ask them to calm down.". Just wanted to make sure, I was within my rights to do this. Is there a NFHS rule reference?

Thanks,

Coach Bill (wearing his ref hat on this day)

NFHS Rule 2-8. NCAA Rule 10-5 and 10-6.

BktBallRef Sun Mar 04, 2007 03:17pm

Bill, 2 things:

First, ignore deecee.

Second, was there no game management or gym supervisor that you could speak with instead?

Adam Sun Mar 04, 2007 03:25pm

If the misbehavior is actually (I'd say "physically," but see some room here for leeway) interfering with the game, you can do it as a last resort. First step is to have them removed by game management. If that's not an option, then you can give the coach a chance to take care of it and reserve the option of issuing a T.

Adam Sun Mar 04, 2007 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee

???? Got a rules reference for this one?

Scrapper1 Sun Mar 04, 2007 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill
Can a ref issue a technical foul to a team for misbehavior by their fans?

1) Yes, but it is usually not issued for verbal abuse of officials or the opposing team. In those cases, it's probably better to have the particular fans removed. The technical foul is usually (not always, but ususally) reserved for times when the fans interfere with the game on the court in some fashion. For example, when the fans throw something on the court after the first basket.

2) I agree with Bktballref in that it's usually better to address fan behavior through an AD or other site administrator than to require the head coach to do it. If the head coach IS the site administrator, then do what you have to do. :)

I had a high school varsity game recently in which a fan blew an air horn in the stands, just as I was about to administer a free throw. I stopped the free throw and my partner went to the table to have them make an announcement. Almost before the announcement started, the home coach was headed across the floor to the opposite side of the court to tell the kids in no uncertain terms to knock it off. So we got support from both the site administrator and the head coach. Nice when it happens that way!

BillyMac Sun Mar 04, 2007 05:17pm

Sporting Coach

From Scrapper1: "Almost before the announcement started, the home coach was headed across the floor to the opposite side of the court to tell the kids in no uncertain terms to knock it off. So we got support from both the site administrator and the head coach. Nice when it happens that way!"

Scrapper1: What a great show of sportmanship from that coach. Some coaches know how to do it the right way. I'd love to work a game for that coach. Too bad I don't officiate in Massachusetts.

Scrapper1 Sun Mar 04, 2007 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
What a great show of sportmanship from that coach. Some coaches know how to do it the right way. I'd love to work a game for that coach.

This coach is a class act all the way. Never, ever disrespectful to the officials. Comes to the locker room after every home game, win or lose, to shake the officials' hands and says, "Thanks for coming out tonight, guys."

RefTip Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:26pm

Yes you can give a technical b/c of the crowd but it is a LAST resort..........had something come of this in a youth game.

I coach a 6th grade boys team and we were in the Championship game of a local tournament. Late in the 4th quarter the official ( volunteer , not patched ) calls a timeout and tells me that one of my fans is about to cost our team a technical . I ask him if I can go talk with him and go over and tell him to keep quiet and let the game go ( it smelled like he had been drinking a little) .

We are ahead by 1 with the ball and 38 seconds left in the game and the whistle blows with the magic T sign held up by the official.

This parent has had a drinking problem for awhile but was so embarrassed by this incident that he has now stopped drinking and has turned into the model parent at our games.

Sometimes things do work out !!!!!

Tip

jdw3018 Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I had a high school varsity game recently in which a fan blew an air horn in the stands, just as I was about to administer a free throw. I stopped the free throw and my partner went to the table to have them make an announcement. Almost before the announcement started, the home coach was headed across the floor to the opposite side of the court to tell the kids in no uncertain terms to knock it off. So we got support from both the site administrator and the head coach. Nice when it happens that way!

Man, too bad you had to T the coach for leaving the coaching box. :D

IREFU2 Mon Mar 05, 2007 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee

technically yes but thats the last resort after the previous 5 last resorts had been attempted. this comes right before sending Vinny into the stands to regulate.

What rule book are you looking at? Can we get a reference?