The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Welmer's on...time to drink.. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32362-welmers-time-drink.html)

reffish Thu Mar 01, 2007 09:13pm

Welmer's on...time to drink..

I saw Steve work UA vs Memphis in Tucson. He is tall...towered over Lute, who is about 6'6. I am already at three drinks...room is spinning...

Nevadaref Thu Mar 01, 2007 09:21pm

Welmer had the game @ Texas last night, so my buddy and I bet that he would have Memphis @ UTEP tonight.
Yep, we were right.

TRef21 Thu Mar 01, 2007 09:48pm

Guys It seems likes it Welmers year for the final four.

Nevadaref Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:52pm

Welmer does about 110 D1 games every year. He seems to have a contract with ESPN, not with the conferences. :)
This year is no different for him than any other in recent times.
It is still doubtful that he will work the Final Four.

Adam Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:40pm

I wouldn't have recognized him if it wasn't for you guys talking about the pants. My daughter wondered what I was laughing at. :)

BTW, I learned from watching that game that Doug Gottlieb is as big an idiot calling a game for TV as he is on his radio show. I knew he was a moron when he made a comment on his radio show about how he agreed with Jay Bilas on an issue, "and I'm pretty much on the other side from Bilas on everything."

Rich Fri Mar 02, 2007 08:17am

I saw him on TV every night this week.

I was watching the ESPN highlights of the game Welmer worked earlier this week. They showed five clips from the game, and Welmer pulled his pants up in all five clips.

Welmer is 6'9". In the 1970's he was a star center for Evansville and he's in the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame:

http://www.hoopshall.com/inductees/2005/welmer.html

http://tinyurl.com/yrzmlf

sseltser Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:27pm

I told my roommates at college about the Welmer drinking game and they thought it was real funny even though they don't officiate. Last night we were just chilling and watching the Memphis game so we decided it would be fun to play. When we drank 6 times in the first minute of the 2nd half we decided it might not be a good idea. The room ended up a drunken mess. So thanks for the game guys... and my roommates and I had a fun time.

socalreff Fri Mar 02, 2007 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Welmer does about 110 D1 games every year. He seems to have a contract with ESPN, not with the conferences. :)
This year is no different for him than any other in recent times.
It is still doubtful that he will work the Final Four.

I heard directly that he was offered 290 games last season and then cherry picks his schedule based on what fits. He travels no more than officials who work 50 or 60 games because he can do 2 or 3 games in a row in different conferences in the same general vicinity. For example: Northwestern on Monday, Depaul on Tuesday, Loyola on Wednesday, Notre Dame on Thursday, Indiana on Friday, Kentucky on Saturday, Cincinatti on Sunday. And he gets mileage from his house on all of 'em. Not his actual schedule but not far from the truth.
It's gotta be real nice to be in his position. I'm sure it makes us all jealous. But he's only home very few days during the season.

Actual partial schedule in February: 7-Illinois, 12-Texas, 13-Texas A+M, 14-Houston, 17-Oklahoma, 18-Minnesota, 21-Baylor, 26-Oklahoma.....

Raymond Fri Mar 02, 2007 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sseltser
I told my roommates at college about the Welmer drinking game and they thought it was real funny even though they don't officiate. Last night we were just chilling and watching the Memphis game so we decided it would be fun to play. When we drank 6 times in the first minute of the 2nd half we decided it might not be a good idea. The room ended up a drunken mess. So thanks for the game guys... and my roommates and I had a fun time.

Probably be more fun if had invited some girls from the field hockey team over. ;)

ripcord51 Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:21pm

Welmer was in rare form tonite with MSU Wisconsin. We had to run down to the Convenience store and buy another case of beer before halftime we were slamming so fast. Good times. We eventually had to change the rules to two tugs otherwise we would have never made it.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:31pm

Feb. 26, 2008: Welmer and the OSU-IU game.

This past Tuesday was Mark, Jr.'s 18th birthday. And my wife, our younger son Andy, and Mark, Jr.'s girl friend took Mark to Appleby's for a birthday dinner. We asked for and were given a corner booth with a television in a perfect position for the boys' and I to watch the OSU-IU game. We were seated just before Welmer tossed the ball for the opening jump ball. I explained the Welmer drinking game to the boys' and thought it was time for Mark, Jr. to join in the extra-curricular activities associated with basketball officiating, BUT the better half nixed it in the bud. Oh well, he will be 21 in three years. :D

MTD, Sr.

Scrapper1 Fri Feb 29, 2008 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Welmer does about 110 D1 games every year.

bbstate.com has him at 93 as of last night.

Adam Fri Feb 29, 2008 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
bbstate.com has him at 93 as of last night.

Isn't there a retirement age?

Scrapper1 Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Isn't there a retirement age?

I don't know. Is there a retirement age for threads? This one was started March 1, 2007.

Adam Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I don't know. Is there a retirement age for threads? This one was started March 1, 2007.

Some threads are like Ryan Leaf; early retirement.
Some are like Nolan Ryan; long career.
Some are like George Foreman.