The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

World Cup style basketball

Does this remind anyone of Zidane in the World Cup?

BTW the video shows the official give the T signal and the toss (ejection) indicating that this was judged a flagrant intentional technical foul, but there is no mention of it anywhere in the box score, play-by-play, or write up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2783396

Updated: Feb. 28, 2007, 6:04 PM ET
Boggan suspended one game for head butt

STILLWATER, Okla. -- Oklahoma State coach Sean Sutton suspended leading scorer Mario Boggan on Wednesday for a head-butting incident in the Cowboys' 84-70 victory against Kansas State the previous night.
"After reviewing the film numerous times, there's no question that Mario used extremely bad judgment in head-butting Cartier Martin," Sutton said. "Our program has been built on class and good sportsmanship through the years, and we're certainly not going to condone this kind of behavior."
Sutton suspended Boggan, the Big 12's second-leading scorer behind Texas' Kevin Durant, for the Cowboys' game Saturday at Baylor. Sutton said he also called Kansas State coach Bob Huggins to express his regrets for the incident, which occurred in the final minute of the game.
"I asked him to relay my apologies to Cartier and that I wish him the best during the remainder of his senior season," Sutton said.
After Kansas State's Blake Young fouled Oklahoma State's Byron Eaton to stop the clock with 38.1 seconds left, Boggan walked from near midcourt toward Martin, who was handing the ball to an official in the lane. Boggan bumped the crown of his head into Martin's left cheek, and Martin responded by swinging his left arm toward Boggan's head. He did not connect.
Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg issued a statement saying the suspension "sends a clear message that this kind of action is unacceptable."
"We appreciate the support of the university in taking a strong stand relative to our sportsmanship policy and consider the matter to be closed," Weiberg said.
Boggan, who had been honored before the game as part of senior night festivities, also issued an apology.
"First off, I would like to apologize to Cartier Martin and the Kansas State Wildcats," Boggan said. "Last night's game was a hard-fought game and shouldn't have ended the way it did.
"I would also like to apologize to my teammates, my coaches and the Cowboy fans. This is not the way I would like to be remembered on Senior Night, and it's certainly not the way I was taught to play basketball. I feel bad that my mother was in the crowd and saw this in person. I have apologized to her as well."
Boggan, who averages 20.1 points and 7.9 rebounds, scored 17 points as Oklahoma State ended a four-game losing streak in a crucial win to keep its dwindling NCAA Tournament hopes alive.
"This is a statement of what Sean Sutton stands for and I applaud his decision," Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder said. "The actions of our players are more important than a game."
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 08:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Sorry - no reconstructive surgery, no foul. BTW - what's the "World Cup"????
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 09:54pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
BTW the video shows the official give the T signal and the toss (ejection) indicating that this was judged a flagrant intentional technical foul,
Tsk, tsk, tsk. . .
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 10:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Sorry - no reconstructive surgery, no foul. BTW - what's the "World Cup"????
It's a little tourney they have once every Olympiad between Europe and Latin America. I think they kick a volleyball around.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 10:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
It's a little tourney they have once every Olympiad between Europe and Latin America. I think they kick a volleyball around.
As opposed to the Worlds Basketball Championship where they kick the NBA All-Stars around.....
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 11:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Is that anything like soccer - you know, that game for kids who can't use their hands?
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 11:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Is that anything like soccer - you know, that game for kids who can't use their hands?
You're thinking of French Football. No contact, lots of running away, and even the winners barely score.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 11:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
You're thinking of French Football. No contact, lots of running away, and even the winners barely score.
And at the end of the game, both teams surrender! Oh wait - that happens at the beginning.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

I seem to recall that the last Cup final was won when the Italian player dropped dead, thereby receiving posthumous credit for a goal, after receiving a fatal blow to his chest from Zidane's cranium. 'Twas a beautiful moment of sporting competition and gamesmanship -- still brings a tear to my eye.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BTW the video shows the official give the T signal and the toss (ejection) indicating that this was judged a flagrant intentional technical foul,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Tsk, tsk, tsk. . .
When I wrote that I knew that there was no such animal in the NFHS, but I wasn't so sure about the terminology in the NCAA. Afterall, the NCAA mens side does have a unique thing called an intentional technical foul for contact during a dead ball. However, that is for non-flagrant contact and I needed to convey that the official deemed this contact to be flagrant, hence I put the word flagrant in front.
I should have looked up the proper terminology before I posted, however I was lazy and didn't. Thus due to your just chiding, I've checked the book and now learned that it is called just a flagrant technical foul in the NCAA as well as the NFHS.

10-13-3.
A flagrant contact technical foul is severely or excessively contacting an opponent when the ball is dead.

Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 07:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
After all, the NCAA mens side does have a unique thing called an intentional technical foul for contact during a dead ball.
Tsk, tsk, tsk.....

Unique? Hardly, when the NFHS has exactly the same thing.

NFHS rule 4-19-5(c)--"A technical foul is an intentional or flagrant contact foul while the ball is dead, except a foul by an airborne shooter."

It's true, it's true.....

Methinks we need to get deecee to give you a little rules training.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

You misunderstood my use of the word. I meant that it is a unique type of foul in an NCAA game. In other words, it is different from a direct technical foul.

I was concerning myself only with NCAA stuff.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 08:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
You misunderstood my use of the word. I meant that it is a unique type of foul in an NCAA game. In other words, it is different from a direct technical foul.

I was concerning myself only with NCAA stuff.
Are you talking to me or deecee?
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see any posts by deecee in this thread.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 08:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I don't see any posts by deecee in this thread.
deecee was nominated above to help with your rules training, Nevada, and he was nice enough to accept. Deecee knows that there are intentional technical fouls under both NCAA and NFHS rules, and also that there isn't any such animal as a flagrant intentional technical foul in either ruleset.

Be nice to him. He's just trying to help and he's only there for your benefit.