The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Hello Everyone

Hello everyone, I've been reading this forum as a guest for some time now and have decided, at the tail end of my fifth season officiating high school basketball (eighth season overall) to register. My name is Jake and I referee in Vancouver, British Columbia, where there aren't too many guys willing to really sit down and talk basketball. I have long felt the need for a community of officials and hope I've found it here!
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 06:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Welcome, Jake. I've been to your city. I do have one question, however. Why is Victoria on Vancouver Island but Vancouver is not?
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 07:28pm
In Memoriam

The CanuckHello everyone, I've been reading this forum as a guest for some time now and have decided, at the tail end of my fifth season officiating high school basketball (eighth season overall) to register. My name is Jake and I referee in Vancouver, British Columbia, where there aren't too many guys willing to really sit down and talk basketball. I have long felt the need for a community of officials and hope I've found it here!

Welcome, Jake.
Yeah, this is such a place.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Welcome, Jake. I've been to your city. I do have one question, however. Why is Victoria on Vancouver Island but Vancouver is not?
Vancouver the city and the island are separately named for Captain George Vancouver, the British explorer. Vancouver, Washington was also named for him. Victoria was named for the former queen of England, again independently of the naming of the Vancouvers. My guess would be that it's a bit like Washington state and Washington, DC in that respect.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 07:43am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canuck
Hello everyone, I've been reading this forum as a guest for some time now and have decided, at the tail end of my fifth season officiating high school basketball (eighth season overall) to register. My name is Jake and I referee in Vancouver, British Columbia, where there aren't too many guys willing to really sit down and talk basketball. I have long felt the need for a community of officials and hope I've found it here!
Jake, my friend Steve T. is in Vancouver. Do you know him? He'll talk baskbetball anytime!
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Hey Jake,

Welcome to the forum. 5 years ago I spent a couple of months in Vancouver and I even got to referee high school games there. Maybe we have refereed together or attended the same referee course ... Unfortunately I don't remember many games but I met a lot of people who loved to talk basketball

Cheers,
Kostja
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canuck
Vancouver the city and the island are separately named for Captain George Vancouver, the British explorer. Vancouver, Washington was also named for him. Victoria was named for the former queen of England, again independently of the naming of the Vancouvers. My guess would be that it's a bit like Washington state and Washington, DC in that respect.

So take that, Mark!
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Actually, it's very confusing to people from outside this area to see a city in Washington state named Vancouver. People driving north on I-5 through Portland who see the Vancouver exit signs think they're about to enter Canada.

There's a movement to change the name of that city to Diebler.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Actually, it's very confusing to people from outside this area to see a city in Washington state named Vancouver. People driving north on I-5 through Portland who see the Vancouver exit signs think they're about to enter Canada.
I'm sorry, but then those people are idiots.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
I'm sorry, but then those people are idiots.
Don't be sorry.
No need to apologize for them.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Don't be sorry.
No need to apologize for them.
You're right. I can't imagine someone crossing over the I-5 bridge and thinking "Wow, it's THAT easy to get into Canada?" Not to mention the fact that they would have to think Portland is on the Canadian border.

Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Jake, This is a great place to communicate about officiating basketball. One suggestion, grow thick skin and don't take anything personal. You have some of us that seem to get gitty at times of the year... Welcome!
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 03:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
Jake, This is a great place to communicate about officiating basketball. One suggestion, grow thick skin and don't take anything personal. You have some of us that seem to get gitty at times of the year... Welcome!
Not me !

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.
Suggestions for gitty:

1. Getty 2. jetty 3. gutty 4. jutty 5. Kitty 6. gittin 7. gittern 8. gits 9. gritty 10. Giotto 11. git 12. JIT 13. Gita
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.
Suggestions for gitty:

1. Getty 2. jetty 3. gutty 4. jutty 5. Kitty 6. gittin 7. gittern 8. gits 9. gritty 10. Giotto 11. git 12. JIT 13. Gita
See what I mean! LOL
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Snow getting to you mick?

You forgot: giddy

(Used with permission.)