The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Way to stir the pot, Tom.

Do you expect the tournament officials to mistake free?
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 11:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I would like to put a dog in this fight and ask a question? If skill plays a part in who advances, why is the tournament the source of the NCAA video every year? A video that mostly tells us what NOT to do.
Are you saying that you have perfect games? I know I do not have perfect games. I can imagine that any game shown on tape of any game there can be a call or two we might need to review. No one is perfect.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I would like to put a dog in this fight and ask a question? If skill plays a part in who advances, why is the tournament the source of the NCAA video every year? A video that mostly tells us what NOT to do.
I'll take a guess...
  1. Because the games are really visible and the errors may be of do-or-die importance.
  2. The officials that are there have proven themselves to get there and a "review" of the best official's mistakes is not likely to harm them. It would look a lot worse to pick on the guy who didn't make it. It could destroy their career when the very same mistake which is also made by a final four official may be mostly ignored.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I'll take a guess...
  1. Because the games are really visible and the errors may be of do-or-die importance.
  2. The officials that are there have proven themselves to get there and a "review" of the best official's mistakes is not likely to harm them. It would look a lot worse to pick on the guy who didn't make it. It could destroy their career when the very same mistake which is also made by a final four official may be mostly ignored.
I'll throw in a couple more guesses:
3. Because it's the NCAA tourney the NCAA owns rights to the video which might otherwise be encumbered by conference's media contracts.
4. Because it's the only time all year that Mr. Nichols really is in direct charge of the refs and he feels much freer to pick out examples of things he wants done differently. It would be somewhat unfair to pick examples from the regular season where a different assigner may have wanted things done differently.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
For the selection of the tournament, the no. 1 and 2 officials from each confernce go. The vets like Hightower, Burr, Higgins are in it no matter what since they are so successful. I think Welmer is so well like because of his court presence. How ofter do you see an official that tall how creats so much belivability on every call. He doesn't over sell but can when he has to. Plus fixing is pants is like his trade mark. I caught my self doing it twice on of my high school games I got on DVD. I'm should also include that I chew gum on the court to keep the mouth from drying out. I feel it's time from Welmer to see the final four.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 07:17am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Are you saying that you have perfect games? I know I do not have perfect games. I can imagine that any game shown on tape of any game there can be a call or two we might need to review. No one is perfect.

Peace
I'm not saying I have perfect games at all. I was just making a point that I feel is valid. I don't think we should sit here and think these tournament officials ref 80 games a year for 20 years and never develop some control over what they call and what they pass on. Most of us can do that right now at the high school and lower college level. It is an example of "do things this way" and then officials moving on in the tournament who don't do it. Why don't the NCAA POE's always include something new year after year? If we are given a new rule, guess what, we call the new rule. Do you guys really think that couldn't be the case with philosophy?

I will say up front that the traveling calls on the NCAA video could be tough because players are so quick. However, following what Hank Nichols says every year, there should be more off-ball calls made in almost every game. I'm not saying go crazy, but do we really think there is a game where the post (off ball) is clean?

The first time an official calls a perfect game, that official should probably just hang it up and retire. But let's not underestimate how good these officials are and how much control they have over what they do every game.