The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 08:32am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
it just might be one of them myth thingies. You know, like the Yeti, Sasquatch, the Loch Ness Monster and Tennessee.
. . . Jurassic's sense of humor, Dan_ref's hair. . .
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 10:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
. . . Dan_ref's hair. . .
You'd best be leaving Dan alone. The man is suave. Suave, I tell ya! the very epitome of suave-ness; the apex of suave-ity.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 10:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
Welmer is God!!!
Welmer was pulling his pants up every time down the court in Ann Arbor last night. Didn't look very god-like.
It was a brutal game from the view in my living room.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I think its time to see Steve Welmer at the Final Four. You see him on all the big games in the Big 12 and Big 10 but he has never got the call for the final four and I would say its time. My list:

Steve Welmer
Verne Harris
Scott Thornley
Mark Whitehead
Mike Thibedoux
Jim Burr - of course
Mike Kitts
Tim Higgins
Mike Sanzere- good official not sure final 4 material yet?- alternate
Ted Hillary

Question: where is Ed Hightower? I haven't saw him working anywhere since early January. Most seasons he is every where in the Big Ten, Big 12 and Big East. Just wondering?
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 11:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181174
Question: where is Ed Hightower? I haven't saw him working anywhere since early January. Most seasons he is every where in the Big Ten, Big 12 and Big East. Just wondering?
He blew out his knee in a game about a month ago. He is done for the year. I do not know much more than that.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 12:22pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181174
I think its time to see Steve Welmer at the Final Four.

Why is it time to see Welmer at the Final Four?
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Tom - I'm curious as to why you have your feelings about Welmer?

I may have mentioned this before, but since we are in a Big 10 town, our local paper has done a "end-of-season" survey and article of various Big 10 players at the end of both football and basketball seasons. They ask all the standard questions, like "Who's the best player?" "Who's the best coach?" and "What team has the best fans?". They even ask some off-the-wall questions, like, "Which player would you least like to meet in a dark alley?" But one question they've asked is "Who's your favorite referee?" And it seems like for the last 3 or 4 years, Steve Welmer has been at the top of that list, usually by a wide margin over the next person listed. The comments associated usually include things like, "He's fair", or, "He'll talk to you and let you know what you did."

Granted, this is a survey of players, not supervisors. But it does say there's something about him that puts him in a positive light with the players on the court. And supervisors must like him, because you see him all the time. So, he must be doing something right?

(Used with permission.)

Last edited by M&M Guy; Wed Feb 28, 2007 at 03:29pm.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

final four talk???

I think it is a little premature to talk about who will make the final four isn't it. As I understand it, what you did during the season gets you to the tournament, but your performance during the tournament is what advances you? If that isn't correct I would certainly like to know the correct procedure.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 02:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
I think it is a little premature to talk about who will make the final four isn't it. As I understand it, what you did during the season gets you to the tournament, but your performance during the tournament is what advances you? If that isn't correct I would certainly like to know the correct procedure.
You are exactly right. You cannot go to a Final Four without being first recommended by a conference. Then once picked is is like an elimination tournament. The officials that do a good job at the first round are advance to the second round and so on.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:02pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Tom - I'm curious as to why you have your feelings about Welmer?
I just had a long-winded response, but I don't want to totally throw someone under the bus. I will just say that I'm the type person that likes to do things right and I want what is right for the game. Making/keeping one side happy means things are fair for the other side. Welmer isn't even my least favorite D1 official.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I just had a long-winded response, but I don't want to totally throw someone under the bus. I will just say that I'm the type person that likes to do things right and I want what is right for the game. Making/keeping one side happy means things are fair for the other side. Welmer isn't even my least favorite D1 official.
Let me preface by saying Welmer isn't my favorite official (and I'm not sure I really have a favorite, like a favorite team), I'm just trying to get a better handle on what you're trying to say. When you say, "do things right", are you talking from a mechanics standpoint, or something else? I don't think he has "textbook" mechanics, but that can be said of quite a few successful D-1 officials. But, like I said, he's seen quite a bit, and the players like him as well, so what is he doing that makes him successful? Maybe it's his personality? So, because he is successful, shouldn't that make him a candidate for a Final 4 assignment?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You are exactly right. You cannot go to a Final Four without being first recommended by a conference. Then once picked is is like an elimination tournament. The officials that do a good job at the first round are advance to the second round and so on.

Peace
As all of us know the advancement isn't solely based upon performance in the tournament. A large factor is years of experience and prior tournament performance. There is no way that everyone starts on equal footing in the first round of the NCAA.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 05:41pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Let me preface by saying Welmer isn't my favorite official (and I'm not sure I really have a favorite, like a favorite team), I'm just trying to get a better handle on what you're trying to say. When you say, "do things right", are you talking from a mechanics standpoint, or something else? I don't think he has "textbook" mechanics, but that can be said of quite a few successful D-1 officials. But, like I said, he's seen quite a bit, and the players like him as well, so what is he doing that makes him successful? Maybe it's his personality? So, because he is successful, shouldn't that make him a candidate for a Final 4 assignment?
When I was talking about mechanics, I was referring to three man mechanics.
What I'm trying to say is this, getting along with everyone and ONLY calling the obvious does not make for someone I would look at as one of my favorites.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 05:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
As all of us know the advancement isn't solely based upon performance in the tournament. A large factor is years of experience and prior tournament performance. There is no way that everyone starts on equal footing in the first round of the NCAA.
I do not think all of us know anything for sure unless we are sitting directly in the room when these decisions are made. Also I did not say that was the only reason people advanced, but it is an elimination tournament. Maybe if all things are equal I would agree past performance or resume would play a role. Either way it goes, this has been the NCAA's public stance on the issue.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 06:40pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not think all of us know anything for sure unless we are sitting directly in the room when these decisions are made. Also I did not say that was the only reason people advanced, but it is an elimination tournament. Maybe if all things are equal I would agree past performance or resume would play a role. Either way it goes, this has been the NCAA's public stance on the issue.

Peace
I would like to put a dog in this fight and ask a question? If skill plays a part in who advances, why is the tournament the source of the NCAA video every year? A video that mostly tells us what NOT to do.