The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Duke vs. Clemson (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32133-duke-vs-clemson.html)

IREFU2 Fri Feb 23, 2007 09:31am

Duke vs. Clemson

Did anyone see the B.I. call in the 2nd half from the lead? After the replay, it clearly wasnt. I guess thats why you shouldnt have a call like that from the lead.

DC_Ref12 Fri Feb 23, 2007 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
Did anyone see the B.I. call in the 2nd half from the lead? After the replay, it clearly wasnt. I guess thats why you shouldnt have a call like that from the lead.

From what I understand, the call was not BI, it was a pushing foul (otherwise known as over the back - dont shoot me!!!) on Clemson. The commentators thought it was a BI call and went on and on and on about it, all the while, the official was reporting his foul to the table.

IREFU2 Fri Feb 23, 2007 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
From what I understand, the call was not BI, it was a pushing foul (otherwise known as over the back - dont shoot me!!!) on Clemson. The commentators thought it was a BI call and went on and on and on about it, all the while, the official was reporting his foul to the table.

Great!!!! I was hoping thats what was going on......for his sake!!!! Thanks for the clarification.

DC_Ref12 Fri Feb 23, 2007 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
Great!!!! I was hoping thats what was going on......for his sake!!!! Thanks for the clarification.

No worries. After all, it was the Itchy and Scratchy (Patrick/Elmore) show.

IREFU2 Fri Feb 23, 2007 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
No worries. After all, it was the Itchy and Scratchy (Patrick/Elmore) show.

LMAO!!!!! That is too funny!!!

tomegun Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:10am

Who was this call on, Clemson or Duke?

IREFU2 Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun
Who was this call on, Clemson or Duke?

From the replay, it looked like the Clemson player tried to dunk the ball as it came off the rim. I thought the official called BI. But DC says it was a foul.

jmkbball Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:29am

It says something about television that the people they hire to sit and watch the game pay so little attention to the action in front of them.

As previously said, it was a foul call. The thing that I thought interesting was that just a few posessions prior to the call, a Clemson player seemed to climb the back of a Duke defensive player for a rebound on a ball on the rim that eventually went in.

There was no call on the first play but it may have made the next call more apparent on the floor.

IREFU2 Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkbball
It says something about television that the people they hire to sit and watch the game pay so little attention to the action in front of them.

As previously said, it was a foul call. The thing that I thought interesting was that just a few posessions prior to the call, a Clemson player seemed to climb the back of a Duke defensive player for a rebound on a ball on the rim that eventually went in.

There was no call on the first play but it may have made the next call more apparent on the floor.

I agree totally with that statement.

Adam Fri Feb 23, 2007 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkbball

Very likely. Sounds like they no-called the first because the ball went in; no rebound, no advantage. It also left them aware of it. "I'll pass on that one, but next time...."

GonetoRef Fri Feb 23, 2007 02:22pm

When I saw the play, the commentators said BI...but it was a foul. I gave Itchy & Scratchy the benefit of the doubt, because in an earlier game (Duke vs. UNC) the lead called a technical for hanging on the rim...which I thought was odd. Why is the lead looking up there???

Back In The Saddle Fri Feb 23, 2007 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonetoRef
When I saw the play, the commentators said BI...but it was a foul. I gave Itchy & Scratchy the benefit of the doubt, because in an earlier game (Duke vs. UNC) the lead called a technical for hanging on the rim...which I thought was odd. Why is the lead looking up there???

Perhaps he was intrigued by the pair of legs dangling unnaturally in his field of vision? :D

Kelvin green Fri Feb 23, 2007 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonetoRef

When reffing big boys that play above the rim, and you have the post and the strongside rebound youre not going to look at their belly buttons. When they are in the air you have to know who goes over who, and if he gets undercut, whacked, etc. I would not be the primary calling a hanging on the rim, but I will help out....

muxbule Fri Feb 23, 2007 02:52pm

On the original play that was no call, the reply that I saw was from on top of the backboard looking straight down and the Duke player who was climbed over through a pretty good elbow that missed the mark. It would have been very difficult to see from the floor.
Anyone else see it??