The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Player attitude (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32014-player-attitude.html)

A Man for All Seasons Mon Feb 19, 2007 06:25pm

Player attitude

My partner calls a foul on A1, A1 makes derogatory comment about the call while walking past me. Clearly loud enough for others to hear. I whistle a T.
During the same game A1 and B1 fight for a loose ball, it goes out of bounds and my partner give posession to A1. B1 expresses his disgust semi loudly and I again whistle a T. After those two incedents, the players all remained in control. Was I justified in the T's?

The greatest work you will ever do, will be within the walls of your own home.

RookieDude Mon Feb 19, 2007 06:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Man for All Seasons
My partner calls a foul on A1, A1 makes derogatory comment about the call while walking past me. Clearly loud enough for others to hear. I whistle a T.
During the same game A1 and B1 fight for a loose ball, it goes out of bounds and my partner give posession to A1. B1 expresses his disgust semi loudly and I again whistle a T. After those two incedents, the players all remained in control. Was I justified in the T's?

The greatest work you will ever do, will be within the walls of your own home.

I'll one up ya Man for all Seasons...

A player "expressing" himself does not have to be loud or semi loud, IMO...
all it has to be, in my books, is unsporting. Whack!

Adam Mon Feb 19, 2007 06:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Man for All Seasons
After those two incedents, the players all remained in control.

Based on this, I'd say they were justified. Nip it early and they learn to control themselves.

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 19, 2007 06:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude
I'll one up ya Man for all Seasons...

A player "expressing" himself does not have to be loud or semi loud, IMO...
all it has to be, in my books, is unsporting. Whack!

What Dude said....

If you can hear it and it's unsporting, just call it.

MJT Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:32pm

You were good to give the T's. Your partner would have done it himself it he'd had heard them I would assume.

Ref Daddy Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:52pm

Try not to think of a T as justifiable or not.

Just like any other violation follow the rules and call the penalty. It wasn't your doing!

Teigan Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:24am

Quote:

Try not to think of a T as justifiable or not.

Just like any other violation follow the rules and call the penalty.
I really like that philosophy, I really do!! COngradulations for an ingenius piece of wisdom.

jaybird Tue Feb 20, 2007 01:54am

Justified? By rule, yes. Got there attention, didn't it. After the second one, no problems. Good calls that maintained control of the game.

chartrusepengui Tue Feb 20, 2007 09:04am

The important thing is that YOU THOUGHT THEY WERE JUSTIFIED AND NEEDED and you were obviously correct in your judgement. :-)