The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 03:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
If you think frosh and JV are bad, try college intramurals. Players with middle school ability, the ego of an NBA All-Star, and the temperament of a bunch of wet cats makes for a nasty combination.
Many of us have, this is why we do not work those games at all.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Many of us have, this is why we do not work those games at all.
But at the end of the day, there's nothing more comforting than knowing that you're "the least competant official on the face of the earth", you "don't know anything about basketball", or that, my personal favorite, "there's a reason they only pay [you] minimum wage" just to quote a few of the players who admire me so much.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But at the end of the day, there's nothing more comforting than knowing that you're "the least competant official on the face of the earth", you "don't know anything about basketball", or that, my personal favorite, "there's a reason they only pay [you] minimum wage" just to quote a few of the players who admire me so much.
I'm sure that you are quick to point out that ". . .there's a reason you aren't playing for a REAL team!"
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
I'm sure that you are quick to point out that ". . .there's a reason you aren't playing for a REAL team!"
I think it, and then we officials just get a good chuckle out of it after the game.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 05:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Wow, you get this from kids often? Most of the high school kids I reffed this year were very well behaved. My last game of the year, I called a foul on a kid and he started to cry about it. All I had to do was make eye contact with him and he immediately stopped and apologized.
For that, I have to give credit to the refs in this area for not taking crap in previous years.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 07:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Technicals

Why have I given no technical fouls to coaches this year?

1) With few exceptions, I only work high school varsity games. These coaches have to answer to an athletic director, a principal, and a superintendent. I'm sure that if I worked subvarsity, recreation, travel, AAU, or adult games, I would be giving out technicals like penny candy.

2) We only have about 70 schools in our local area and I've been officiating for 26 years. Most coaches know me, know how hard I work, know how well I can officiate, and know that I won't tolerate much in the way of unsportsmanlike conduct. I've noticed that the grayer my hair gets, the fewer technicals I give to coaches.

3) I coached middle school basketball for over 25 years and know a little bit about what they're going through. So maybe I'm a little more tolerant than other officials.

4) My local IAABO board takes a dim view of unsportsmanlike conduct from coaches. We are all consitent from game to game and from season to season.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 07:29pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
You might ask who paid to see them play in a lighter moment. Or you could scan the 'crowd'. When he asks what you are doing, you could tell him you are looking for the sports reporter that is doing the write-up on the game and who will put his name in the paper. Then you shrug and say, "I guess he's not here. Again."

Last edited by 26 Year Gap; Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 07:41pm.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
. Said he should have T'd him but didn't.

For example: if you are trying to build a solid schedule, you might not want to T the home coach so quickly as others here would have you believe.
You go trying to be top-dog and T up the wrong coach (and I'm speaking of calling T's on coaches, not players). I guarantee your games will get cut, at the very least, at that particular gym.
If he felt he should have "T'd him he should have.

It's a darn shame that getting a game from some school should be the reason why you didn't apply a technical foul on someone who deserved it. I seem to be able to ignore most coaches complaints and didn't have a T this season until last weekend. Mine was after my partner had two players earn T's by mouthing off to each other after an intentional foul. I ended up giving the assistant coach one for mouthing off moments later. Had another in a high school rec league. Player came right to me following his 4th foul in the first half and said "that's a bunch of s***, and hows about number 5 see ya.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Terrapins fan said in the survey thread (Not to pick on you Terrapins Fan)
Quote:
coach had a blast reaming me out all night...every call I was wrong
This is the kind of thing I was kind of getting at. All season we have seen these kind of posts, and yet at the year end, we keep seeing, one or no technicals. I will end up doing over 50 high school games this year. I just can't believe that you can do that many games and not run across ANY unsporting behavior. Are player and coaches in Ohio THAT much worse than in other areas?

One of my mentors, who I took the class from, always says, "If you think you should've Teed him, you are right. Never leave a T on the floor. Coaches are like elephants, they never forget."

(I thought they were like elephants because thats how much sh!t they are full of)

Last edited by Ignats75; Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 08:16am.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 01:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
You go trying to be top-dog and T up the wrong coach (and I'm speaking of calling T's on coaches, not players). I guarantee your games will get cut, at the very least, at that particular gym.
If a coach loses that kind of respect for you to where he's acting like an azz, calling a T isn't going to affect that. It'll only calm him down for the rest of that game; and if it doesn't, it'll be one less you have to call later.
And I'm willing to bet that Knight doesn't have quite as much say in who officiates as you give him credit for.