The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Violation or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3197-violation-not.html)

jshock Mon Nov 12, 2001 11:40am

My questions deal with throw-ins. While staying inside the 3 foot box for a spot throw in, is dribbling/bouncing the basketball permissible? Is dribbling or bouncing the ball on the endline legal during a throw-in after a made FT or FG?

mick Mon Nov 12, 2001 11:44am

Quote:

Originally posted by jshock
My questions deal with throw-ins. While staying inside the 3 foot box for a spot throw in, is dribbling/bouncing the basketball permissible? Is dribbling or bouncing the ball on the endline legal during a throw-in after a made FT or FG?
Yes, jshock,
Because there is no rule against doing that, it is legal to dribble, or bounce, as long as the other requirements of a throw-in are met.
But, it's wasted action for the athlete.
mick

ScottParks Mon Nov 12, 2001 12:20pm

Except...??

Dribbling is legal. Would dribbling on the endline constitute a throw-in violation?

BktBallRef Mon Nov 12, 2001 12:47pm

If the ball touches inbounds, it's a violation. If it just touches the 2" plus border without touching inbounds, the ball is still OOB.

Fox40 Mon Nov 12, 2001 03:37pm

It is a legal move like the posted replies have indicated, but frankly, I have never seen it done by a player. Some coaches still freak when they see a player jump up and down during thespot throw-in yelling "He's traveling..." Wonder what they would say if a player jumped up and down AND dribbled???

Mark Padgett Mon Nov 12, 2001 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Fox40
Wonder what they would say if a player jumped up and down AND dribbled???
I dunno. When my kids were little, they jumped up and down and dribbled. Now - I do.

mick Mon Nov 12, 2001 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

I dunno. When my kids were little, they jumped up and down and dribbled. Now - I do.

Sounds like that depends....

bigwhistle Mon Nov 12, 2001 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Quote:

Or maybe that Mark now needs depends!

Mark Padgett Mon Nov 12, 2001 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bigwhistle
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Or maybe that Mark now needs depends!

That was the joke by Mick. I got it. I guess you didn't. Another "senior moment" perhaps? ;)

secondyear Tue Nov 13, 2001 01:03pm

On a throw-in, when passing the ball (bounce-pass) to an inbounds player, is it a violation for the ball to touch out of bounds before going in-bounds where the player catches the ball?

mick Tue Nov 13, 2001 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by secondyear
On a throw-in, when passing the ball (bounce-pass) to an inbounds player, is it a violation for the ball to touch out of bounds before going in-bounds where the player catches the ball?
secondyear,
Yes, it is a violation. Rule 9-2-2
mick

Dan_ref Tue Nov 13, 2001 01:36pm

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like that depends.... [/B]
Stop it! Stop it! Stop it now! :eek:

Mark Padgett Tue Nov 13, 2001 02:37pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by secondyear
secondyear,
Yes, it is a violation. Rule 9-2-2
mick

Here's where it sometimes gets tricky. The rule says the throw-in pass must be thrown directly into the court. However, after a made or awarded score, we all know the inbounder may throw the ball to a teammate who is also standing OOB outside the endline, and have him throw the ball into the court. At first reading of the rule, this would seem to be a violation since the ball wasn't thrown directly into the court. The technical "loophole" is that if the first player throws the ball to the second player, then that throw was not the "throw-in pass" and therefore legal. And yes, the throw-in pass still has to be made within 5 seconds of the time since the ball was at the disposal of the inbounding team, not the final inbounder.

mick Tue Nov 13, 2001 02:44pm

Yup. Yup.

Quote:

Here's where it sometimes gets tricky. The rule says the throw-in pass must be thrown directly into the court. However, after a made or awarded score, we all know the inbounder may throw the ball to a teammate who is also standing OOB outside the endline, and have him throw the ball into the court. At first reading of the rule, this would seem to be a violation since the ball wasn't thrown directly into the court. The technical "loophole" is that if the first player throws the ball to the second player, then<u> that throw was not the "throw-in pass" and therefore legal</u>. And yes, the throw-in pass still has to be made within 5 seconds of the time since the ball was at the disposal of the inbounding team, not the final inbounder.

Mark,
A pass to a teammate is a pass. ;)
Good point.
mick