The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Final score 112 - 14 ... in a tournament! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31968-final-score-112-14-tournament.html)

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:39pm

Final score 112 - 14 ... in a tournament!

Working an elite 8th grade boys holiday tournament this weekend with teams from all up and down the west coast. Yesterday, my first game had a team from Seattle beat a team from L.A. 112-14! In fact, if they hadn't held the ball at the end, they would have won by 100.

After the game, a parent from the losing team walked by and said loudly, "We didn't get a call all game. No wonder we lost." I looked at him and said, "OK, tell you what -just to make up for our bad calls, we'll give your team an extra 97 points. OH WAIT - YOU STILL LOSE!!!"

He didn't think it was too funny, but my partner cracked up.

BTW - the second game had a team from Portland beat a team from the Bay Area by almost 50. What a tournament.

BLydic Sun Feb 18, 2007 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I looked at him and said, "OK, tell you what -just to make up for our bad calls, we'll give your team an extra 97 points. OH WAIT - YOU STILL LOSE!!!"

He didn't think it was too funny...

I don't either. Best to just ignore the comments IMO.

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 18, 2007 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic
I don't either. Best to just ignore the comments IMO.

You must be a newbie around here. :rolleyes:

Texas Aggie Sun Feb 18, 2007 01:33pm

You're right: it is BEST to ignore such comments. On the other hand, if you pick your spots wisely (i.e. once a season if not less), you can embarrass the hell out of these idiots and they'll likely not do that again.

MJT Sun Feb 18, 2007 01:37pm

How in the world could any "elite" team get beat by another by 98 pts? No way the losing team should be in that tourney if it is truely an "elite" tourney.

JugglingReferee Sun Feb 18, 2007 01:50pm

This parent/spectator was much too concerned with the officiating than wondering how (presumably) his team was that outmatched to lose by 98 points.

BLydic Sun Feb 18, 2007 06:05pm

Quote:

You must be a newbie around here. :rolleyes:

How so ? :confused:

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 18, 2007 06:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic
How so ? :confused:

If you were a "veteran" here, you'd know my goal in officiating is to amuse myself and making fun of other people, especially parents and coaches, is one of my true joys. :cool:

A Man for All Seasons Sun Feb 18, 2007 07:02pm

Funny

I watched a Elite High School tournament at the beginning of the season. Teams from Portland and Seattle were there, but it came down to a team from Florida who won against a team from Sacramento (Jesuit). There were no blow outs, except Portland and Seattle went home early. A shot at the buzzer for Florida's win. I think mark was referring to an 8th grade elite tournament which is an Oxy Moron.

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

BLydic Sun Feb 18, 2007 07:54pm

Quote:

If you were a "veteran" here, you'd know my goal in officiating is to amuse myself and making fun of other people, especially parents and coaches, is one of my true joys. :cool:

In that respect, yes. I am a newbie :D

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 18, 2007 07:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Man for All Seasons
I think mark was referring to an 8th grade elite tournament which is an Oxy Moron.

"Oxy Moron"? Isn't that what Rush Limbaugh was addicted to? :p

Actually, it's only called an "Elite" tournament because that's what the local league that sponsored it calls itself.

One other note - that team from Seattle had really weird looking numerals on their uniforms. In fact at first, I thought one kid was wearing "77" until I realized it was an "11".

26 Year Gap Sun Feb 18, 2007 08:18pm

First thing that comes to mind is University of Nebraska's season opening football game. Did the tourney director have a big N stamped on his forehead?;)

Ignats75 Mon Feb 19, 2007 09:00am

Quote:

Working an elite 8th grade boys holiday tournament this weekend with teams from all up and down the west coast. Yesterday, my first game had a team from Seattle beat a team from L.A. 112-14! In fact, if they hadn't held the ball at the end, they would have won by 100.

After the game, a parent from the losing team walked by and said loudly, "We didn't get a call all game. No wonder we lost." I looked at him and said, "OK, tell you what -just to make up for our bad calls, we'll give your team an extra 97 points. OH WAIT - YOU STILL LOSE!!!"

He didn't think it was too funny, but my partner cracked up.

BTW - the second game had a team from Portland beat a team from the Bay Area by almost 50. What a tournament.

A team travelled THAT far just to lose by 99 points?:eek: ?:eek: ?:eek: ?:eek: ?

WTF was that program director/coach thinking??? No wonder I think AAU is one of the biggest ripoff in basketball. In Ohio, they have a rule about off-season coaching that is archaic and harmful to high school basketball in the 21st centruy. It has created a vacuum that AAU has stepped in and filled. AAU is fine for the elite players like Greg Oden and Mark Conley and Daquan Cook, but for the average player who just wants to get better, a good off season program with the school would be better.

swkansasref33 Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignats75
A team travelled THAT far just to lose by 99 points?:eek: ?:eek: ?:eek: ?:eek: ?

WTF was that program director/coach thinking??? No wonder I think AAU is one of the biggest ripoff in basketball. In Ohio, they have a rule about off-season coaching that is archaic and harmful to high school basketball in the 21st centruy. It has created a vacuum that AAU has stepped in and filled. AAU is fine for the elite players like Greg Oden and Mark Conley and Daquan Cook, but for the average player who just wants to get better, a good off season program with the school would be better.

Down here where I am from, we have a school basketball summer league. High School players from the same school form a team, get a coach, and play other high school teams during the summer. From what I have been told, since the HS coach has nothing to do with the league, its legal.

Ignats75 Mon Feb 19, 2007 01:05pm

In Ohio, until June 1, only two players from a team are allowed to play together.