The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The Future of HS Sports (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31958-future-hs-sports.html)

Time2Ref Sun Feb 18, 2007 05:51am

The Future of HS Sports

Rec. Ball, uh… I mean Wreck Ball, uh… I mean AAU game.

I’m reporting a foul to the table. Coach is yelling “Ridiculous”. I ignore him so I can finish reporting to the table. He apparently thought I didn’t hear him because he yells “Just Ridiculous!”

I finish reporting the foul, put the whistle in my mouth, raise my fist, blow the whistle, and calmly form the T, point to the Red bench, and report the unsporting foul on the coach.

As I get a shooter from the other coach, my partner goes to the Red bench to point out how relaxing it can be coaching from a chair. I overhear the Red coach asking why he didn’t get a warning. Idiot! I guess he thought it was OK to conduct himself in an unsporting way UNTIL he gets his warning.

I’m not exactly sure what was said, but my partner gives him another T and tells him he has to leave the gym. Well, he doesn’t want to leave the gym, partner is asking the table to go get the administrator. I’m on the floor telling the girls “come on ladies keep your head in the game. Try to ignore the adults”.

New motto: “Wreck Ball – It’s the future of High School sports”

Jurassic Referee Sun Feb 18, 2007 08:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Time2Ref
1) I overhear the Red coach asking why he didn’t get a warning. Idiot! I guess he thought it was OK to conduct himself in an unsporting way UNTIL he gets his warning.

2) I’m not exactly sure what was said, but my partner gives him another T and tells him he has to leave the gym. Well, he doesn’t want to leave the gym, partner is asking the table to go get the administrator. I’m on the floor telling the girls “come on ladies keep your head in the game. Try to ignore the adults”.

1) Aren't these AAU coaches just the funniest l'il people while they're growing up?:D

2) Been there, done that- more than once. I never bothered with any administrator though, except to inform him what we're doing/did. I just told the timer to put 60 seconds on the clock, and I informed the coach that's what he's got to get moving--and if he isn't, we're forfeiting. That is also the very last words that I say to him. Some moved, some didn't. Shrug.

Good job. Way to take care of bidness.

Bad Zebra Sun Feb 18, 2007 08:55am

I had the dubious honor of tossing an AAU coach AND his ASSt. within 30 seconds of eachother last summer. The administrator had the pleasure of selecting a parent from the stands to come and finish the game. All this for an 11U game. Isn't that a lovely example to set for 10 & 11 year olds?

I feel your pain.

ChrisSportsFan Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:06pm

where do they get this bit about being owed a warning?

BayStateRef Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
where do they get this bit about being owed a warning?

From us. Refs are not taking care of business. At my association meeting last week, we were told by a youth travel league assignor to call technical fouls on coaches for unsporting acts. And if they keep it up, toss their buttocks out of the gym. I had a partner recently who thought four warnings were proper in a high school game; another partner who proudly said he has never T'd up a coach in 20 years.

Adam Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayStateRef
From us. Refs are not taking care of business. At my association meeting last week, we were told by a youth travel league assignor to call technical fouls on coaches for unsporting acts. And if they keep it up, toss their buttocks out of the gym. I had a partner recently who thought four warnings were proper in a high school game; another partner who proudly said he has never T'd up a coach in 20 years.

I've had a partner who bragged that he's gone 40 years without giving a coach a technical; he thought it was indicative of his "game management" skills. 2nd game I had with him, I realized what this meant in real life. It means ignoring crap that shouldn't be ignored.
I'm pretty sure the coach threw her clipboard on the floor but I couldn't see it since I was lead table side when I had the no-call she disagreed with. As T opposite table, he had a pretty good view, but no call from him. I played on and didn't bother asking him about it. In hind sight....

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:29pm

When you're working a rec league and you eject a coach who refuses to leave, try this. Tell the coach that if he doesn't leave immediately, you are calling off the game and you will tell all the kids that the reason they can't play any more basketball today is because of him.

Works for me.