The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Unsportsmanlike Foul? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31952-unsportsmanlike-foul.html)

mo-stripes Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:23pm

Unsportsmanlike Foul?

Worked some Jr High games tonight. 2 separate games, players were warned by us the officials about shouting at a player as he was taking a shot. Both officials were in agreement that the shouting constituted unsportsmanlike conduct. First game, no problems from coaches on this. Second game, coach disagreed and said we, the officials were wrong. Coach and assistant coach approached us at half-time, again stating that we had it wrong and that it was allowed. Of course, we were told of all their years of experience, reffing, coaching, etc and that they have never seen this invoked. We still contended that it was unsportsmanlike and would not be tolerated in the game.

Weren't we correct? I know that in soccer, it is considered unsportsmanlike, and feel it is a "lame" attempt to alter a shot by rattling the player.

I've looked through the NHS rule book and case book but couldn't find a reference. Please help.

Thanks.

Adam Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:36pm

What are they shouting? If they're just yelling, "Shot!" I'm inclined to ignore it except on free throws. True, it's partly meant to distract the shooter; but it's also meant to inform the other defenders they need to body up for a rebound.

If they're yelling, "I'm going to kill you!" I'd call the T.

It's got to be a lot closer to the latter than the former before I address it: except on free throws.

MJT Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:40pm

What were they yelling, shot, miss it, or what?

mo-stripes Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:52pm

unsportsmanlike foul?

In the first game, the player yelled AAHHHH! and lunged toward the shooter, and got nailed for a push when contact was made.

In the second, it was Shot! in the player's face as shot was taken.

Adam Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:05am

I'm not telling them to stop yelling shot. Unless you're going to tell the girls to stop yelling "Ball Ball Ball Ball," or "Dead Dead Dead Dead" (when a dribbler has used up his dribble), there's not much help from the rule book for telling them to stop yelling "shot." Even then, I'm not sure you can get there without some rulebook gymnastics.
that said, if other officials in your area aren't tolerating it, then you're on more solid ground than I would be. If they are tolerating it, then you may want to reconsider.

Texas Aggie Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:51am

Quote:

tell the girls to stop yelling "Ball Ball Ball Ball,"
You would be my hero if you could figure out a legitimate way for us to do this. Aside from being totally annoying, its stupid and pointless.

Snag's right: unless the language itself if inherently unsportsmanlike, or they commit other actions you rule as taunting (e.g. getting directly into their face), you've got nothing here.

mo-stripes Sun Feb 18, 2007 01:01am

Great, thanks guys.

That "ball,ball,ball" crap is annoying, isn't it?

WhistlesAndStripes Sun Feb 18, 2007 02:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo-stripes
Great, thanks guys.

Yes, very.

Scrapper1 Sun Feb 18, 2007 07:33am

Quote:

it is a "lame" attempt to alter a shot by rattling the player.

I agree wholeheartedly. I would have no problem if the NFHS added this to the list of unsporting actions.

Quote:

I've looked through the NHS rule book and case book but couldn't find a reference.
Unfortunately, that's because there is no reference. As others have said, unless the words themselves are unsporting, there's no foul here. That's what I've been told by "higher-ups".

Jurassic Referee Sun Feb 18, 2007 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
As others have said, unless the words themselves are unsporting, there's no foul here. That's what I've been told by "higher-ups".

And Dan_ref & I are glad that you listened to us.

Could be worse, Scrappy. If you were Chuck Elias, for instance, <b>everybody</b> would be "higher-ups".

Adam Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:06pm

Even if they did add this (and "ball ball ball") to the list of unsporting actions; what do you think the odds are that it would be consistently enforced. My money would be on about 10% enforcement, at best.

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:32pm

Quote:

Yeah, so when they are yelling it on a throw-in, I like to take the ball, hold it up in front of their face and say, "Yep - it's a ball alright." :p

Ignats75 Mon Feb 19, 2007 08:44am

Quote:

Great, thanks guys.

Some idiot AAU coach probably thought it was a great idea, and now its permeating girls basketball. (I never see boys do this. Why?;) )

DC_Ref12 Mon Feb 19, 2007 08:51am

Um, I think it's supposed to be annoying.