The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Big Mistake (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31908-big-mistake.html)

PIAA REF Fri Feb 16, 2007 01:10pm

Big Mistake

Last night at a Girls Varsity Game (Key game with playoff implications)....
I was told that the home team was down 2 with a few ticks on the clock, they hit a 3 to be up 1 at the buzzer. Teams shake hands leave the court as do the officials. After a few minutes the book keepers found a discrepency in tehe book that had the game tied. No remember the officials have already left the playing area. The officials were notified and they said ok, lets play OT.
:(

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Feb 16, 2007 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIAA REF
I was told that the home team was down 2 with a few ticks on the clock, they hit a 3 to be up 1 at the buzzer. Teams shake hands leave the court as do the officials. After a few minutes the book keepers found a discrepency in tehe book that had the game tied. No remember the officials have already left the playing area. The officials were notified and they said ok, lets play OT.

The official book rules.

MTD, Sr.

JoeTheRef Fri Feb 16, 2007 01:18pm

Quote:

If the officials were notified in their dressing room, then it should've been game over. I'm glad you said book keeper(S), meaning both books had the same thing.

PIAA REF Fri Feb 16, 2007 01:20pm

yep

Yes I know the game should have been over. I don't believe the officials let the game go into OT. Good thing was that the team that was ahead when the officials left the floor was the same team that won the OT.

cmathews Fri Feb 16, 2007 01:40pm

the teams were tied

Quote:

Yes I know the game should have been over. I don't believe the officials let the game go into OT. Good thing was that the team that was ahead when the officials left the floor was the same team that won the OT.

the teams were tied when the officials left the confines...the scoreboard was wrong, not the book.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Feb 16, 2007 01:44pm

1) Will someone please show me in the Rule Book where it says that the official score is the score on the scoreboard? I will answer my question for everybody. No one will be able to show me because the scoreboard is not the official score. The running score in the official book is the official score.

2) The officials did not approve the score on the score board, they approved the score in the official scorebook. The official scorebook (and thankfully the visitor's book as well) showed that the socre was tied at the end of regulation. Therefore the fact the everybody had left the visual confines of the court does not apply, because the game was TIED at the end of regulation playing time and was NOT over.

3) The officials were correct in having the overtime period played.

MTD, Sr.

JoeTheRef Fri Feb 16, 2007 01:57pm

Usually when I'm the R, I go as close to the table that I need to and ask the official score are we okay with score, after getting an acknowledgment, I'm high tailing it to the dressing room.

IF the officials (all 3) left the confines of the playing court, after the final horn sounds, is that game officially over? Not being there, maybe that R looked at the table and didn't see anyone waving him over, maybe got a thumbs up or whatever, and jetted. Once they leave the confines, the game should be over. WHAT IF... the score was incorrect and they found an error that gave the other team a victory, and they are in the locker room, do you handle it the same way? Official book wrong, let's change the outcome?

The books says the referee should check and approve the score at the end of each half, which I do verbally. I'm asking all of this under the pretense of THE OFFICIALS are in the dressing room when the tie error was found. If the R screwed up and got a half a$$ approval on the score and hauled butt back to the dressing room, what do you then, play the OT?

Dan_ref Fri Feb 16, 2007 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
1) Will someone please show me in the Rule Book where it says that the official score is the score on the scoreboard? I will answer my question for everybody. No one will be able to show me because the scoreboard is not the official score. The running score in the official book is the official score.

2) The officials did not approve the score on the score board, they approved the score in the official scorebook. The official scorebook (and thankfully the visitor's book as well) showed that the socre was tied at the end of regulation. Therefore the fact the everybody had left the visual confines of the court does not apply, because the game was TIED at the end of regulation playing time and was NOT over.

3) The officials were correct in having the overtime period played.

MTD, Sr.

I like this answer.

PIAA REF Fri Feb 16, 2007 02:10pm

No Book

The book was where the error was not the scoreboard.(although it was wrong as well) They should not have played the OT. They were wrong.

Adam Fri Feb 16, 2007 02:31pm

According to the OP, the score in the book and on the board was not tied when the officials left. Only after a few minutes of bickering between bookkeepers did they find an error in the book and correct it. Game's over since the officials left. It may not "feel" right, but it's correct.
Now, if the books were both showing tied and the score board was all that was wrong, then MTD has the right idea.

cmathews Fri Feb 16, 2007 02:43pm

2.2.4b

I now agree....no OT

cmckenna Fri Feb 16, 2007 02:51pm

I'm confused.... Where in the OP does it say anything about the scoreboard???

DC_Ref12 Fri Feb 16, 2007 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmathews
I now agree....no OT

So...the game just stays tied?

tjones1 Fri Feb 16, 2007 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
So...the game just stays tied?

No, the team who had the extra point wins, in this case the home team.

DC_Ref12 Fri Feb 16, 2007 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
No, the team who had the extra point wins, in this case the home team.

Ok, now I'm confused. I thought the OP said the extra point was on the scoreboard, and that according to the official book, the game was actually tied.

"After a few minutes the book keepers found a discrepency in tehe book that had the game tied."

Am I just mis-reading this statement?