The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Help me with my mechanics?

So, I've got some more church league games this weekend and want to spend these games focusing on mechanics. I think I've got the routine down for calling fouls: whistle, clenched fist, call color, number, signal type of foul to offending player, report to table, color/number/type again, signal shots or spot of throw in.

Is that right?

Also, some of the slang terms we use for fouls don't have actualy signals for them, so what do you use in these cases:

Illegal screen (push? PCF?)
Illegally fighting around the screen
Over the back (push again? or illegal use of hands)

Also, do you audibly call out the type of foul when you give the signal or do you just give it?

Thanks!
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Illegal screen = team control foul
Illegally fighting around the screen = push
Over the back = push

I don't normally say what the foul is at the table unless I need to communicate some other information like "hit him in the head" or pushed him outof bounds" That's more for the coach than the table. And you won't find that in the mechanics manual.

I'll also add there's no real need to give foul, color, number at the spot unless it's unusual situation, and you won't find that in the manual either.

You will find in the manual that you should indicate the number of shots at the location if the offended team is shooting.

Last edited by Dan_ref; Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 10:24am.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:22am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
So, I've got some more church league games this weekend and want to spend these games focusing on mechanics. I think I've got the routine down for calling fouls: whistle, clenched fist, call color, number, signal type of foul to offending player, report to table, color/number/type again, signal shots or spot of throw in.

Is that right?
Yup.

Quote:
Also, some of the slang terms we use for fouls don't have actualy signals for them, so what do you use in these cases:

Illegal screen (push? PCF?)
Illegally fighting around the screen
Over the back (push again? or illegal use of hands)
The illegal screen is usually a block for me. Fighting through the screen is a push. Rebounding fouls are usually a push also.

Just a note, the illegal screen is almost never a player control foul. To be a PC foul, the player must be holding or dribbling the ball (or be an airborne shooter). The player with the ball is almost never the one to be guilty of a bad screen. It is, however, a team control foul now. This is signalled with the "punch".

Quote:
Also, do you audibly call out the type of foul when you give the signal or do you just give it?

Thanks!
I personally do not verbalize the foul at the spot of the foul. I'm probably supposed to, but I don't. I just indicate which team it's against and if we're shooting or possession. At the table, I give the signal, but again I don't say it.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I prefer to to give the shirt color and number at the spot of the foul. I also give my partner the shooter and how many we're shooting or where we are putting the ball in play, ALL at the spot of the foul. THis helps your partner get the game ready to play after you've reported to the table.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I'll also add there's no real need to give foul, color, number at the spot unless it's unusual situation, and you won't find that in the manual either.
Really? I could have sworn I read that last night in the official's manual. Color, number, foul at the spot and then all over again at the table. Maybe I read it wrong.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really? I could have sworn I read that last night in the official's manual. Color, number, foul at the spot and then all over again at the table. Maybe I read it wrong.
I said you won't find it in the manual.

Oh yeah, as Scrappy says indicate the spot of the throw-in before going to report. Very important.

Last edited by Dan_ref; Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 10:46am.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, as Scrappy says indicate the spot of the throw-in before going to report. Very important.
Ok, thanks.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The manual specifies exactly this procedure on the floor and to the scorer - pages 36 and 37.
230,c.d for reporting on the floor
231b/c for at the table

color, number, foul in both instances
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning

The manual specifies exactly this procedure on the floor and to the scorer - pages 36 and 37.
231b/c for at the table

I knew I wasn't going crazy! Thanks, jk.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 11:10am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:

231b/c for at the table

That's right. That's why I said that I should do it, but usually don't. I agree with Dan on this. It's usually not necessary. Kid drives 1-on-1 to the basket and you have a foul. Do you really need to stand there and say "White, 23!" and give the illegal use of hands signal? Everybody knows what you have. So go report it.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

231b/c for at the table

You can do it your way my friend.

Frankly, I don't think I could locate a copy of my mechanics manual if Chuck Elias' life depended on it.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I said you won't find it in the manual.
You might have meant to say you stand corrected.
While it is in the manual I can't recall ever hearing anyone follow the manual that strictly - just enough clear communication so that the players and your partner[s] know what you have and what will happen next. The rationale behind reporting in detail on the floor may have something to do with 'what if one of my partners has a different number and this is a multiple foul'... something that is routinely disregarded anyway.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You might have meant to say you stand corrected.
No. I meant to say what I said.

I know what the manual says and I know I'm going against the manual, which is why I said he won't find *my* advize in the thing.

In my book it's overly-officious to report color, number foul at the spot in most cases.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You can do it your way my friend.

Frankly, I don't think I could locate a copy of my mechanics manual if Chuck Elias' life depended on it.
So why did you say it wasn't in the manual then?

Nevermind. I can see now that you're just arguing semantics for the sake of arguing. Carry on.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
So why did you say it wasn't in the manual then?

Nevermind. I can see now that you're just arguing semantics for the sake of arguing. Carry on.
Well, this oughta be good. Might as well get comfortable....