The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Clapping Beind the Free Throw Shooter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31876-clapping-beind-free-throw-shooter.html)

blindofficial Thu Feb 15, 2007 01:57pm

Clapping Beind the Free Throw Shooter

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a violation to have someone from Team B claps his hands in attempt to get Team A to miss his free throw shot? Team B claps while Team A start his motion to shoot the free throw. Team B is located at the top of the three point line, just behind the Team A free throw shooter.

Violation? Yes/no?

RushmoreRef Thu Feb 15, 2007 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindofficial
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a violation to have someone from Team B claps his hands in attempt to get Team A to miss his free throw shot? Team B claps while Team A start his motion to shoot the free throw. Team B is located at the top of the three point line, just behind the Team A free throw shooter.

Violation? Yes/no?

If putting the arms up in the lane can be considered "disconcerting" then I would imagine clapping behind him, if deemed intentional, could also be disconcerting as well......Violation.

JoeTheRef Thu Feb 15, 2007 02:14pm

Quote:

Violation? Yes/no?

Yes. B1 or any opponent to include the bench personnel, cannot disconcert the free thrower.

Adam Thu Feb 15, 2007 02:39pm

Yes, disconcertion includes audible attempts.

grunewar Thu Feb 15, 2007 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Yes, disconcertion includes audible attempts.

I've seen it several times this season when coaches start to yell "who has the shooter" or "don't forget to box out" conveniently right as the opponent begins their shot.....

mick Thu Feb 15, 2007 03:38pm

Quote:

Violation? Yes/no?

Could be, particularly if the shooter misses.
Could be unsporting. Have a word with "someone from Team B".

howie719 Thu Feb 15, 2007 03:39pm

It's my opinion that it's called a FREE THROW for a reason. I think you would have a hard time selling the coach one unless he differs his tone or something. It's more common for players waving there arms in front of the shooter. It usually happens early in the game and can be nipped quick by telling the coachs.

tjones1 Thu Feb 15, 2007 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by howie719
It's my opinion that it's called a FREE THROW for a reason. I think you would have a hard time selling the coach one unless he differs his tone or something. It's more common for players waving there arms in front of the shooter. It usually happens early in the game and can be nipped quick by telling the coachs.

Could be, but that's why we get paid the big bucks. If you deem it distracted the shooter, it's a violation. Remember, it's the opponent's responsibility to avoid disconcerting the free thrower.

Adam Thu Feb 15, 2007 04:15pm

Had an AAU boy earlier this month simply yell, "Shot!" right before the shot. Shooter made it, and I walked over to him and told him to knock it off.

btaylor64 Thu Feb 15, 2007 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Had an AAU boy earlier this month simply yell, "Shot!" right before the shot. Shooter made it, and I walked over to him and told him to knock it off.

Best way to handle it, I believe

howie719 Thu Feb 15, 2007 04:42pm

I would have to agree

Mark Padgett Thu Feb 15, 2007 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by btaylor64
Best way to handle it, I believe

I usually tell the kid that if he does it again I'm going to stuff him in a wood chipper. :eek:

Believe me, that works.

grunewar Thu Feb 15, 2007 05:09pm

[QUOTE=Mark Padgett]I usually tell the kid that if he does it again I'm going to stuff him in a wood chipper. :eek:

QUOTE]

Now THAT would be disconcerting!:rolleyes:

DC_Ref12 Thu Feb 15, 2007 05:09pm

I originally read the thread title as "Crapping behind the FT shooter"

I'm pretty sure that would be frowned upon, too.

Zoochy Thu Feb 15, 2007 05:12pm

I started a post in early December about 'squeeking shoes' while A1 is attempting Free Throws. I called a disconcerting violation. There are many forms of disconcerting.
Pay close attention to B1 if they are standing behind Free Throw shooter A1. Sometimes they may be talking to the shooter. Kids are tricky.:D