The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Real situation with a hypothetical added on (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31871-real-situation-hypothetical-added.html)

Big2Cat Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:46am

Real situation with a hypothetical added on

This has happened to us all before. I was just wondering what the actual rule would be...meaning, what would we technically have to do or enforce. I must be missing something.

Here is what happened...guy is shooting free throws. He has had the ball for about 4-5 seconds when he goes to dribble and drops it. (The time is a factor because it is too late for us to say we gave him a bad pass, or to start over). The ball rolls slowly down the middle of the lane. When does he violate? He never steps over the line. Is it a violation when we get to 10 seconds on our count?

Now, this had me thinking--what if he drops it and doesn't move and 1) a player on the other team steps in to retrieve the ball. Double Violation? (Not what would we do--what would be the ruling here).

2) What if it bounces to his teammate (who does not step in the lane) who then passes it back to him within the ten seconds? Is that legal? Surely I am missing a rule.

Anyhow...the top play happened the other night, and when the kid didn't even move until the 10 seconds was up I could actually see the other things happening, including 3) the opposing team stepping into the lane to throw it back to him and then the FT shooter missing and we give him another FT due to the lane violation by the opponent.

All food for thought and also my own sanity. Thanks.

Ignats75 Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:00am

Ball rolls away from shooter, I blow my whistle immediately. Get the ball back and re-administer the free throw. That way, none of the other scenarios can happen to muddy the water.

RushmoreRef Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:01am

Don't have my book to give you specifics, but I'm sure I read somewhere that if they lose control, bounce of their foot, etc....blow the whistle and start all over.....even if they step over the line to get it.....when they lost it, start over....anyone else?

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big2Cat
This has happened to us all before. I was just wondering what the actual rule would be...meaning, what would we technically have to do or enforce. I must be missing something.

Here is what happened...guy is shooting free throws. He has had the ball for about 4-5 seconds when he goes to dribble and drops it. (The time is a factor because it is too late for us to say we gave him a bad pass, or to start over). The ball rolls slowly down the middle of the lane.

Read case book play 9.1.1(b). If the FT shooter accidentally drops the ball before the throwing motion is started, sound the whistle to prevent any violations and re-set.

SmokeEater Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:05am

Its a violation if they step over the line to retrieve the ball, if I remember correctly. I try to get on the whistle before that happens to readminister the shot.

Big2Cat Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:13am

Right...I know what we would all do...blow the whistle and re-administer. But what if he loses it while getting starting his throwing motion. Just re-administer again?

I would not let the other things happen, but was just wondering what the ruling would be if they did.

Thanks JR. I will look that one up.

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:17am

Quote:

But what if he loses it while getting starting his throwing motion. Just re-administer again?

You're into a judgment situation then imo. Is it a fumble or a missed FT? You don't want to penalize the defense, for sure.

Splute Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:18am

WOW, interesting.... seems it would be an attempt... I dont think I have ever witnessed that in a game (during shooting motion)

Big2Cat Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:36am

Case book clears it up for me. Start over. And since it doesn't even specify a time, it sounds as if he fumbles the ball at 9 seconds we still start over. Would that be correct JR?

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:44am

Quote:

Case book clears it up for me. Start over. And since it doesn't even specify a time, it sounds as if he fumbles the ball at 9 seconds we still start over. Would that be correct JR?

Imo, I think that's exactly what the case play is saying, Cat.