The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

No I didn't . It never occurred to me to do that. Later when I am not so lazy I'll get out my rulebook and get all the pertinent references cause I do remember reading somewhere about charging them a TO.....
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 09:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
No I didn't . It never occurred to me to do that. Later when I am not so lazy I'll get out my rulebook and get all the pertinent references cause I do remember reading somewhere about charging them a TO.....
NFHS rule 10-5-2 + PENALTY(ART.2).

If I'm working with a scorer that has a tendency to...how to put this nicely.....screw up a one-car funeral, then I usually don't worry about charging a TO if I feel that the coach is honestly concerned and not just playing games.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Feb 14, 2007 at 09:19am.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I had a situation last night at my AA Girls First Round. The games was progressing at a good rate, we let them play and called what we needed to call. I noticed that when a foul was called on the home team, the bookkeeper would go nuts. Well to make a long story short, I called a travel on the home team and he starts beating the table with his fists. I stopped the game and went to him and told him that there will be no more of those kind of reaction to our calls or I would have him replaced. Needless to say, the next dead ball, he said he was sorry and it wont happen again. Has anybody else had such dealing and if so, how did you handle the situation?
I'm the scorer at a Division III college. While I make my share of mistakes, this is one I haven't made (at least not yet). I have a hard enough time doing my job without trying to do the job of the people with the whistles. I'd better not ever mouth off or pound the table after a call.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Timer

Similar situation last week. Boys varsity game. Timekeeper is the girls varsity coach. In the first half she starts yelling directions and encouragment to the players on "her" team, almost like she's coaching the team. She never yelled at me or my partner, During a dead ball I went over to her and reminded her that she was part of our crew and must remain impartial She was embarrassed and apologized to me. It must be tough to be a coach and not coach. No problems the rest of the game and she did an excellent job handling the scoreboard.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

I had one that would just shake her head the whole time I was trying to report a foul. Also, don't you guys just hate the look down book keeper. You know the one thats already looking down before you report. Then you have a book error later on and have to spend time fixing it!!!
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 08:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Announceer

We have one high school in our local area whose game announcer will announce the foul before you "officially" report it to the table. He watches for your "bird dog" signal and listens for you to announce the color and number of the fouler at the spot of the foul. Sometimes he's wrong. It can be very disconcerting to hear your foul call announced before you report it, especially if it's the wrong player whose foul is announced. I always have to remind him to please wait until I report the foul to the table. Otherwise he does a great job.